Thumb on the side vs finger on the top

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
An observation I have made with students is the difference in shading cuts between those who hold the handpiece the traditional way with the thumb on the side of the graver versus those who place their index finger on the top of the graver. The finger-on-top users can sometimes cause too much downward pressure which can make it extremely difficult to achieve the micro-thin startup to shading lines. Keep this in mind if you're struggling with shading and not getting a super thin taper at startup.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Sam, I already came to this conclusion.
One other thing about fine shading I recently found out is that NOT all shading lines need power assist.
I fact it is like trying to do a Bulino scene using power assist.

arnaud

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Whilst I didn't do so for the same conclusion, I place my thumb on the side as an anchor on the metal that helps for placement of the point and control of depth as well as speed of cut and control of the cut direction. In one word...Control!

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Sam, I already came to this conclusion.
One other thing about fine shading I recently found out is that NOT all shading lines need power assist.
I fact it is like trying to do a Bulino scene using power assist.

arnaud

I agree Arnaud. There are plenty of times I use a push graver for the finest detail like crosshatching or really delicate cuts. I can make myself use power assist, but there are times when it's simply not the best choice for my work. Not sure if other engravers experience this or not.

Sam

Staff member
Whilst I didn't do so for the same conclusion, I place my thumb on the side as an anchor on the metal that helps for placement of the point and control of depth as well as speed of cut and control of the cut direction. In one word...Control!

I with ya, Sam. Thumb on the side gives me far better control. I've had plenty of students who simply couldn't engrave that way though. Obviously it's the end result that counts.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I actually use a "pinch" style grip on the graver. My thumb and index finger pinch the graver from the sides. I find this gives me the greatest control.

When I do heavier engraving like bright cutting and flare, my grip is slightly different where I do apply downward pressure with the index finger.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the traditional thumb on the side, left thumb acting as brake, The index finger works opposite the thumb for grip and convenience (got a put it somewhere). Fred

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
"Not sure if other engravers experience this or not. "

I use a push graver for not only delicate cuts but even in cleaning out deep background, and lots of places in between. There are times (more and more often) that it just feels right.

Pedroc

Elite Cafe Member
I always use the thumbnail for better control, but sometimes, when need more speed (time is money)
then I use the other way.

monk

Staff member
lately i've sort of lost my mind. i find i'm using the scope less & less. have also reduced my reliance on the mini jackhammers. i have always liked the "feel" of push graving. getting less done & feeling better about it . the finger placement isn't chiseled in granite for me. for me, placement depends upon what i'm cutting-- hard, soft. deep, or shallow.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to see a photo of what you describe as thumb on the side. I don't know if i'm doing that or not. most of the time my index finger is on the metal and I use my left thumb against my right thumb for a brake.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It makes sense to use a "tripod" form when engraving. I use it almost always, especially when under the microscope as it lessons errant movement. Must be stable, but it seems I need to be more careful as my fingers seem to get in the way of the scope.

Bill