some recent work

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I made a big step forward understanding about how to do fine shading.
Yes I know some parts in the background are removed and that shouldn't.

One thing about shading that as far as I remember was never said before:
The smallest shading cuts are best made by hand push only. Using any power assist for those smallest cuts always turn out to heavy.

arnaud

With some imagination this is a four letters titanium pendant

a Ti pair of wedding bands

Hand engraved Ti earrings with some diamonds in the flower knob.
The cuts are anodized blue

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very nicely done Arnaud. And I can see your shading is carefully executed with good taper to the lines. I think it's possible to use handpiece power for some light cuts but I do some of them with hand push only.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I like those Arnaud, especially the earrings. :)
I don't get much time to engrave but I do cut a lot & find with the lyndsay pc I use, It's ok to set at a really fine cut.
I know what you mean by using hand cutting though, but..I don't know if that fine a cut with the weight of the tool is worth bothering with ?

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
By using the light steel piston in the Lindsay Palm Control, I am able to make barely perceptible lines.
BUT ! In the spirit of seeking new territories, I am going to ask Steve to fix me up a delrin piston.
Although it may be TOO light, BUT, then again, it may be the cat's meow. I can see it's use for fine silver, sterling and gold shading.
Knowing Steve, in the time it took me to type this up, he has already conceived this idea, built the prototype and has it posted on his site for sale. :shock:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks you all. My point about the use of hand push when making the tiniest shading cuts is not that my EnSet or GRS GraverSmith aren't able to make these cuts, but you simply don't need powerassist all the time. Sometimes handpush is faster and gives more control.

Here is a titanium pendant I also finished recently, you could ask why not making it in white gold, well that is because making it out of Ti is never done before, so more special and precious. And believe me, this will never wear of.

arnaud

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Bravo, Arnaud! The earrings were my favorite.

By the way, how does it feel to engrave titanium, compared to silver, or brass?

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
By using the light steel piston in the Lindsay Palm Control, I am able to make barely perceptible lines.
BUT ! In the spirit of seeking new territories, I am going to ask Steve to fix me up a delrin piston.
Although it may be TOO light, BUT, then again, it may be the cat's meow. I can see it's use for fine silver, sterling and gold shading.
Knowing Steve, in the time it took me to type this up, he has already conceived this idea, built the prototype and has it posted on his site for sale. :shock:

Aha, why didn't i think of this before..... left the heavy piston in, I'll use my daughter's, she has the light piston.

Saludos,

Carlos

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Every time you post new work Arnaud I am amazed the way you're pushing the border, the earings and scroll work on the knife are really nice but this pendant is amazing, doing this with Ti is a job not many people would be able to copy.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Terrezar, You should give it a try engraving Ti. It cuts real nice. Of course it it harder than silver and gold. That is why it is my favorite.
Fine engraving on golden and silver jewelry will wear of in no time, so it is a bit a waste.
On the other hand, fine engravings on Ti will last almost a lifetime.

Willem, forging Titanium need another approach than the traditional goldsmitting on silver and gold, but I'm convinced all can be made out of Ti

arnaud

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
My hats off to you! I'm scared to bezel set a topaz in gold let alone Ti. How do your burs hold up?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The burs wear of a bit faster, but I use carbide burs, I have to replace them only when I break one by hitting it against something.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud - Is it that you are using the power assist push grave with no power or are you changing to a hand push graver? I recognize that one could use either I am just wanting to know if you are changing tools. RmG

Latest posts

Sponsors