Italian engraving vise

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I bought this vise in Italy in 1984. It was rusted tight after my workshop flooded many years ago, but I got it restored to working condition. I don't see many of these vises...in fact I don't recall ever seeing one in America. I wonder if the Italians still use them?

italian_vise.jpg

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Italians still use them Sam, I also bought one exactly the same from a guy at Giovanelli's in 1984....still have it! I think I paid 6,00000,0000000,000 Lira for mine :biggrin:

Phil

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The Italians still use them Sam, I also bought one exactly the same from a guy at Giovanelli's in 1984....still have it! I think I paid 6,00000,0000000,000 Lira for mine :biggrin:

Phil

Phil: I bought mine directly from the factory. It was a Sunday and it was closed, but either Fracassi or my interpreter knew who to call so the guy met me there and sold me the vise. Mine was also 6-trillion lira or a couple hundred $USD :)
The brand name is Cuter.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
I bought one in 2000 and brought it back. A few years back we stopped at the supply store there in the valley they still have them. Along with hammers graver blanks and lots of gun parts. Their not cheap anymore. I think they are around 500 USD. I don't recall what I paid for mine but it was millions of lira.

Chris

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would imagine these are of the lock down and cut variety for standing, or hammer and chisel work? Lacking smooth bearing surfaces? Nice to have around the shop for sure. I've been meaning to set up a bench for cutting muzzle loading barrels and something similar would fill the bill.
Thanks,
Layne

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I've seen these in the older books I have. Looks as if rebuilding these would be straightforward when the time comes, as there wouldn't be a problem in making a new screw, and bronze nuts for the vice part. The guide rods, and fitting up bushings, would be easier. Also, the pivot wouldn't be a problem. Looks as if the designer thought this one out, and saw ahead. A lot of vices are products designed for the landfill, not longevity, but this one looks like a decent one.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks for showing that, roger. from the looks of it, i dont think it would take too much in the way of modification to allow doing deeper parts. one could simply remove the original jaw plates, and replace with larger jaws of oak or whatever.

sam: that's a beauty of a vise. how much does it weigh-- have any idea ?

Last edited:

leo

Elite Cafe Member
I have seen them In a lot of the engravers travel picture mister hand showed us a lot of pics in Italy and you could see them in the background my question for Sam and the people that have them do you need to order it directly from a friend in Italy and send them the money or are there distributors that distribute in the USA and if there is cans you please tell us thank you I been looking for one to make a hammer and chisel bench

mrthe

Thank you for the Pic Sam, i'm just in Italy now i will look for one.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, I drilled the top of my machinist vise to accept the GRS jaw extensions and those Gregg made so I could use it for hammer and chisel work.

I also believe that Chris Decamillis considered importing the Italian vises at one time. I wonder if there is sufficient demand to make that worth doing.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Here is a Ray Viramontez vice from the late '70s if I remember right. I added a cheap Harbor Ft. X-Y base and automotive wheel bearings for the rotation. Never been in a flood but has withstood my use and abuse for some 35+ years.

Attachments

• IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 238

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very comfortable to work with Italian vice, distance from base to jaws is very suitable for holding guns' parts. Just my opinion, thanks

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Nice sturdy vise, I have watched a few videos of some gun engravers that use the hammer and chisel method and all three engravers were using this type of vise. NICE!!

Latest posts

Sponsors