Help, please: clear coat

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I screen shot this a while back off of the forum. Cannot find it under search. But what I need to know is . the spar varnish... I'm assuming its oil base but this says old type rosin base, I cannot find this rosin base spar.. I found rust- o-leum spar oil base. And it comes in different types like matt, some gloss etc. What do I need to get?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-12-22-46-08-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-12-22-46-08-1.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 204

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jared,

If my memory serves me correct I think it was originally with a French Gray tutorial. The spar varnish cannot be a plastic base.

I bought mine online here is a picture. I never did anything with it but I will 1 day.

Saludos,

Carlos

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
NP glad to help, once you conquer the technique let me know.

The reason I set it on the back burner was because I wanted to you use it on firearms but issues arose concerning it getting into small working internals, crevices.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
From what I understand, it'd so thin that I don't think it would bother any parts. But the firearm needs to be disassembled before dipping it.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i started using this.
If I'm not mistaken, supposedly this is used in the NRA museum to maintain firearms and other metals

Saludos,

Carlos

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
By "plastic" it means polyurethane. Read the label and if it contains any, don't use it. It's hard to find good old fashioned spar varnish these days, but it is oil based. Carlos showed the wrong side of his can. We need to read the other side.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Jewelry items . like copper , brass, stainless. I know I can buy spray on stuff for this purpose. But these are lil trade secrets I would like to know, maybe one day I can pass them on to an up and coming. And I like making my own stuff.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I found a one quart can of Cabot spar at my local freds dollar store.... Holy crap. $18 a quart. But at leat I know I can get it local

Latest posts

Sponsors