Help, please: Engraved knife/ photo shop play

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I am getting happier with shading etc. I know i need to work on my drawing/designs. But my question is this I have watched Sams amazing videos and It helps a ton, however removing the background on nickle silver doesnt seem to cut as "clean" for lack of a better word. I tried to use a super small flat graver with limited sucess, Is there some special grind yall use on back ground removal flats?thanks in advance!!! caseflder.jpg

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
On nickle silver I use a wriggle tool.
I started doing this BEFORE, I knew the "Proper" way.
First side to side, then up and down. Or, cross diagonals. You can get into some pretty tight spaces this way at a slow enough speed to not risk damaging your engraving.

ADD ON-

The reason nickle is such a booger is that it wear hardens extremely quick, even quicker than stainless, IMO.
Even drilling a hole with a 1/16" drill bit, on 16 ga. nickle,it will probably seize up your bit before you punch through, unless you use your tapping fluid liberally. I've ruined many a bit before I figured this out.
Even the slow speed of hand sawing it out will wear harden it quickly, unless ...

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been known to go over the bottom of an area with a punch before stippling it. It can help flatten those last little bits that you just can't seem to get.

Sponsors