Bravely submitting my first picture!

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
I have finally decided to post some pictures of my work. I made these buckles for my groomsmen for my upcoming wedding this Saturday. Nothing too exciting, but I am very happy with them. Sterling silver inlay on two, with nickel silver overlays. The other two are copper inlay with copper overlay. The inlay is not perfect by any means but not too bad, I think. The scrolls on the Masons buckle are a whole other thing. I was trying to focus on inlay for the most part. Hope you enjoy!

Jesse Beckham
Lost Penguin Leather
Wichita Falls, Texas

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Carlos & Brian. I had the materials already, and it was a lot cheaper than buying them something, haha. I guess in the long run I probably spent more on them as far as time goes. But that's okay, it was good practice and a good learning opportunity.

Jesse Beckham
Lost Penguin Leather
Wichita Falls, Texas

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a lot of work Jesse. I am disappointed that you didn't make the effort to solder a loop on the buckle that the belt will attach to. Lets just say that you Didyounged it.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
A LOT more work goes into cutting out the interior, rather than soldering on a loop.
You have my respect !

My recommendation would be to add about a quarter of an inch extension to turndown and then take a 4" flat and ROUND the bar .

Tweaking/refinement will happen as you look at your past work and THINK about how to make it better.

IF our designs and metalsmithing skills were perfect the first time, it would soon get boring. As it is, innovation helps to keep our minds continually searching for better designs and techniques.

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
I guess I don't understand the "loop" you're talking about. But I appreciate the comments. To have even the slightest hint at anything I do as being "Didyouned" is incredible flattering even if I do t know what you're referring to. I look at his work with great admiration!

Jesse Beckham
Lost Penguin Leather
Wichita Falls, Texas

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
far, far better to give of yourself- such as these buckles. you aint gonna find any junk anywhere in any store to have the impact that the buckles will have.
post pone yer wedding for at least a month. during this period buy all the tools you see on the forum. after yer wedding, you may find resistance from your better half regarding the purchase of all "that nonsense".

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
far, far better to give of yourself- such as these buckles. you aint gonna find any junk anywhere in any store to have the impact that the buckles will have.
post pone yer wedding for at least a month. during this period buy all the tools you see on the forum. after yer wedding, you may find resistance from your better half regarding the purchase of all "that nonsense".
Monk, I have been lucky enough to find a lady who supports my creative endeavors...however, I have been buying up as much as I can prior to the wedding. Something along the lines of the quote on guns, "my biggest fear is dying... And my wife sells all my guns for what I told her I paid for them."