Nice container for acetone

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I found this nice 4 oz. (118 ml) container on eBay that's good for solvents, alcohol, acetone, etc. I've always kept a large can of acetone on my bench and either me or my student would forget to cap it and I'd lose a lot to evaporation.

This is a pump container similar to what doctors use, and it's got a twist-lock that disables the pump. Flip the lid, put your paper towel over the top and push down a couple of times and it dispenses just the right amount of acetone for a transfer or quick cleanup. The price is $4.99 with free shipping.

I turned it upside down and gave it a good shake and can't detect any leaks in either the locked or unlocked position.

Acetone container on eBay

acetone_1.jpg acetone_2.jpg

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful - if it'll hold acetone, it'll hold flux and all manner of fluids... PERFECT, thanks Sam!!!!

Sam

Staff member
One thing that's irritated me is that many (most?) cans of acetone have these stupid plastic flip-top lids that require a screwdriver to pry open, and the lid wears out before the can is empty. So I have one acetone can with a metal screw-on lid that I've been refilling from cans with flip-top lids. If this dispenser holds up and the acetone doesn't disappear from evaporation then everything will be right in the universe :)

I also ordered 2 other pump dispensers, one which is glass with a stainless steel lid. I will report back on those after I receive them and test them.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Sam. That is a wonderfully simple solution to a stupid problem most of us just live with. Now I can use my screwdriver for its intended purpose. Opening paint cans.
Layne

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I'll give it a AAA, rating, IF, it will contain 7 percent iodine.
Before I knew of the corrosive nature of the beast, I pretty much trashed my farrier tools when I placed a bottle in my truck box.The bottles lid vibrated loose enough to let the iodine fumes escape, causing every tool to rust tremendously, overnight.

Then again, for the acetone/alcohol (for those stressful moments when just a nip will do !), this looks to be perfect.
Thanks for postingvit, Sam

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, these look like a good idea. I still have one from my dental office for alcohol wipes. But for acetone I've used the larger squeeze bottles that once contained contact lens saline solution. They don't let the acetone evaporate and you can squeeze the solution directly onto the work surface as needed. Mine have been in constant use for over 7 years.

Andrew Biggs

One thing that's irritated me is that many (most?) cans of acetone have these stupid plastic flip-top lids that require a screwdriver to pry open

My pet hate is child proof tops on containers. They are not only child proof but every other proof as well. :)

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
good luck, sam. every plastic bottle i've ever kept acetone in, would eventually lose its shape and become rather useless. carolina biological supply has the good pumpers. they'll hold most lab reagents.

Sam

Staff member
Still working great with no leaks. The other two I ordered leaked and sprayed. This one is great!

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
I must have gotten lucky - so long as you turn it to close the bottle, *then* close the cap, it works like a champ. Great find, Sam!

Latest posts

Sponsors