first pair of spurs

johninok

got these finished today. Made them for a friend as a gift. Hope to improve as I learn. country spurs 004.jpg country spurs 002.jpg

johninok

Bands are 1" wide 1/8" thick mild steel, bent red hot. Shank is 1/2" thick steel I cut on the band saw.Welded shanks, peened rowel pins and buttons, staples are welded in.Nickel silver and copper for mountings.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I learned one piece spur making in Tecumseh from Louis Bryant. Horseshoeing school in Sperry.
Heck, guess I shoulda just moved up there.
See about getting together with Jerry and Tony Wallace to further your education. Good folks.
There's a lot of spurmaking history up there.
Come on down to Buffalo, Texas sometime and we'll forge some steel.
Jeff

johninok

thanks Jeff, if I get down that way I will do that. One piece intrigues me. I am in Shawnee.

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
Was Bill at the Cowboy True show in Wichita Falls, TX a few months back? There was a fellow there with a lot of spurs riddled with the Texas style wheat just like yours. I have always been a big fan of the wheat styles. I use a lot in my leather work. The spurs look great by the way!

Jesse Beckham
Lost Penguin Leather
Wichita Falls, Texas

johninok

Yes, he was at that show. He has really taken me under his wing, guess I am kind of a protege of sorts. Love that old man, hope to carry on with his style in years to come and add a few things of my own along the way.

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah, he seemed like a good guy. I talked with him for some time. I am hoping to enter the cowboy true next year. You look like you're on your way as well.
Whereabouts are you in OK?

Jesse Beckham
Lost Penguin Leather
Wichita Falls, Texas