coin holding....

mrthe

brass pins, termolock or the four square pins that come with the grs 30 vise attachments set the one with a half round channel work very well, now i'm using a prototype of universal coin holder made by Lyndsay and is great , allow you to hold all type of coins but is not for sale yet.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
I'd asked Lindsay about this a while backwhen I ordered my nickel holder, and there was no interest in them.
These are what I came up with. A set of different size rings to stack to support coin underneath, and clamp tightly around the rim without getting in the way, or leaving marks on the coin.

IMG_20140722_181349.jpg IMG_20140722_181442.jpg

mrthe

I don't know when you ask for it to Lindsay....

I just can say that lately since i have start carving and sell Clad Coins ( CCC , Clad Cameo Carvings) the attention of hobo nickels carvers to carve other type of coins that are not just nickels grow very much and now have become a sort of new trend .

1 years ago maybe was not very common see other type of coins carved but now yes.

Your solution is very good all the way

This is what i'm using now

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
And a good use of Damascus steel scraps too small for much else...
Used one of the heavy duty shank benders. Made fairly short work of it.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
5-minute epoxy will hold nearly anything. Warm with a torch when you're finished. I've used it on nickels, gun parts, and a million other things.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
BPE Engraving has a really nice little nickel holder made out of carbon fiber. I've made similar style ones with Thermoloc for pennies and quarters (and one for nickels to use with my micro-block that doesn't have the notch the BPE needs for centering). It only takes two sticks of Thermoloc to make a coin holder. Actually you should have a small blob left over.

The key is to either have the GRS Thermoloc fixture making block or to simulate it - you want to make a hinged piece so you can put good pressure on the coin using your vise jaws.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I use the older Lindsay Nickel Holder...have never done a different size coin...the epoxy sounds like a super choice or even better the Thermo Loc...

Donny

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 218

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
only use hot melt glue on stuff that small. cleanup is rather instant with isopropyl alcohol.

JackJellies

Any notions of when the universal holder will be available? Looks interesting. Otherwise, I use the nickel holder for nickels, thermoloc or the pins for other sizes.