Question: Which graver geometry do you prefer for Bulino?

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
As the title states. Which graver geometry do you prefer to use for Bulino engraving? Why do you prefer said geometry above others? 96 Degree? 105 Degree?

Andrew Biggs

Anything sharp will do the job.

Heel, no heel, 70, 90, 105, 120, traditional bulino graver, standard square or onglette, power, hand push............... it doesn't matter.

What does matter is to keep the point razor sharp, your cuts/dots light and concentrate on the light and shade. Keep the point/face of the tool small so it gives you a better perspective of what you are doing.

Cheers
Andrew

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think this falls under the "If it cuts it's good" category. I know I grab whatever is tiny and sharp when I practice and I've seen this question asked of more than one master bulino cutter and the general response is " I haven't a clue".
Sharpen some steel and have fun!
Layne

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Jan,

I have to respectfully disagree with the above answers. The geometry makes significant differences in the results. Not having a heel has a purpose as well. It allows for cutting techniques that allow one to achieve effects that give results necessary for high quality work.

Here is a link to a video that will show some of the differences I have mentioned. http://www.engraversstudio.com/apps/videos/videos/show/10828271-new-graver-geometries

Chris

Latest posts

Sponsors