Scuba tank as an air source for power gravers?

Col. Batguano

I have several scuba tanks at home as I teach scuba in the summer time. Does anyone make an adapter of some sort that could just use a scuba tank as an air source for power gravers, so you don't have to buy a separate (and noisy) compressor to power their power gravers? They use scuba tanks to fill air rifle / pistol cylinders, and gravers run off of CO2, so I would think it would be a natural. The air pressure off of the LP port of a (dive) regulator comes out at about 130-140 psi.

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As mentioned, there are threads over on the Lindsay forum about using Steve's gear from SCUBA tanks. CO2 & Nitrogen give you longer run time from a tank but if you already have the SCUBA tanks...

I believe that about all you need is the adapter to bring the pressure down to the right range and then you just feed it into the regular regulator set(s).

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Recently just bought a California Compressor to replace my 20lb Tank. I used CO2 with my Classic Airgraver. It would cost me about $27 every 5 weeks to refill it. The 6310 compressor will pay for itself in less than a year. GREAT value. But don't get me wrong the Tank worked well for 4yrs then just started looking at the long haul...

Donny

JT Kinney

Elite Cafe Member
Scuba tank setup

Hope this helps. Standard scuba regulator to Lindsay dual gage set. Works great. I never really kept track of how long the tank lasted.

JT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 253

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No picture handy, but I use a scuba tank when I travel low pressure whip with a gage on it, one quick connect on the end of the whip. Then a quick connect nipple screws into the spot where the usual intake is on Steve's regulator. Works perfect. I think the quick connect rigs might be for dry suites, or something?
New part: scuba tank, quick connect whip (into low pressure port), quick connect nipple.

Col. Batguano

That's what I was looking for. I have 21 tanks at home, so if I bleed a little (say 200 psi or so) off of each of them nobody will ever know, and the will still be adequate for the pool work.

I'm just thinking about getting in to power gravers, and wondering if this is the best way to go. Right now all I have are a few chase tools, and I'm still very much a novice. It's fun, but goes really slowly.

BLW

I made up these two fittings one screws straight int low pressure port then I can fit an air fitting onto for air hose the other plugs straight into low pressure inflator hose, if you can silver solder easy to make.
Brendan

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
Keep in mind that the intermediate pressure on the first stage is usually 130 - 140 PSI. Best to reduce this to 100. Easy to adjust on some regulators not so on others.