The scissors

I've engraved in scissors for my daughter.
It was harder than ordinary stainless steel and had a hard time...
Keeping so as not to lack the point of super-carbide is important.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
It's not surprising that these shears presented difficulty in cutting. Having sharpened, professionally, a few of these shears years ago, we noticed that they carried the term "Ice Tempered", which means that after heat treatment steps they were sub zero quenched, or nearly so, as the technique carried different degrees of application. Also, some of the Japanese shears had an extremely slight degree of curve at the point where the cutting edge meets. Thusly, if you're asked to engrave a beautician's prized set of shears costing maybe hundreds of dollars (yes, they can cost that much) you may want to decline the job, or exercise the utmost in care of holding the item. Perhaps the product Thermoloc may provide adequate holding with zero stress on each blade, provided you don't get the item too hot and encounter a tempering problem. I assume Thermoloc doesn't require that much heat? There are shears out there that can be ruined by careless workmanship, and you'd be doomed to replace them. But, let the customer know up front the price, and the perils involved.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Added Note

The scissors shown resemble 'school scissors' moreso than beautician's shears. Because of the rubber overlays, and shape of the blades, I think this may be the case. But, beautician's shears are a whole different situation. Maybe they were made in the same factory?

This scissors is harder so as you say.
But this is the 'school scissors' (price is 100 yen ($ 1) in Japanese.) .
I would have given up if the scissors of beautician's if.
I practice more,I would like to engrave also beautician's shears.

Thank you for your comment!!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thermoloc doesn't require a whole lot of heat. I have a few bits I've been using to prop up bracelets for display and a couple of weeks ago it was hot enough out that they started to soften in the case at an outdoor event. I hadn't yet opened up the case to get some air flow and with a black case with a black floor and a glass lid it got quite warm in there.

If you're holding something that's temperature sensitive, like mother of pearl or other fragile bits then you may not want to use Thermoloc, just to be safe, but for things like scissors it should do just fine.

Sponsors