Floor Drill Press

DevilDog

The Story: I live in a very rural area. For the past year, I have been looking for a used floor drill press to convert to an adjustable ball vise table. No luck. Last Saturday, I went to a pawn shop in Tucson and lo and behold there was Craftsman 20" drill press for $60 dollars. It was in good working condition. I was in my Toyota Corolla. I ended up buying it and disassembling it in the parking lot and took it home.

The Question: For those that have done this, any tips or advise on how high to cut the post? Any regrets on turning a nice drill press into a vise stand?

Shawn

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I cut mine to the height from the floor to the under side of my bench. I reused one of the post collars and welded a tab on it so the cut off end can be screwed to the bottom of the bench. If you aren't putting it under the edge of a bench you could bolt it down to the floor and make it any height you want. I just like to sit so that's why mine is that way.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did not cut mine, never know if I'll need it,

Watch "engraving 101 drill press stand" on YouTube
engraving 101 drill press stand: https://youtu.be/dKAgcq-F96Y

Saludos,

Carlos

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a 10 inch bench top model. I usually have it cranked to the very top and the scope is almost on the bottom of the boom stand post. I wouldn't want it any shorter then that. Better to have extra height that you don't need. Better to be looking AT IT instead of FOR IT. Your chair height , personal height, scope height ball vice height all have an effect. If you're set on cutting it, cut it long and make adjustments as you use it. Just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers
Don

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
I have a watchmakers bench which made me leave the drill stand free standing. I simply measured the available space [27in] and cut the tube there. A free standing base allows me the freedom to change chair height, distance from the bench, and if I want, the ability to move left and right under the bench. Also, if my wife insists, I can move the whole thing to clean (obiously a last resort) :rolleyes:

Also, it took me several days to get all of the old oil and grease out of the gears. After cleaning and painting not only does it look better, it smells good enough to bring inside. :)

Attachments

• Bench.jpg
    Bench.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 403
  • 20140707_190902.jpg
    20140707_190902.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 403

mrthe

I have to look for one too, i use now a shelf vise but unluckly i have a floating wood floor in my workshop and is impossible have a really solid system maybe this can help.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
drill_press_stand_bench.jpg

I bought the Grizzly radial arm drill press re: Rex Pedersen and Brian Powley. Love it, and it comes with an extension arm should I need more swing.

I will be purchasing a second one for my student bench, but it'll be a standard drill press...possibly from Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply.

Andrew Biggs

One thing that is essential to this setup..........cover the hole at the top.

It is amazing how much stuff will drop down the hole if you don't!!! Don't ask me how I know this to be true :)

And make sure you screw/bolt it to the floor. Don't ask for permission.............The wife can only get upset with you once. And don't ask how I know this either :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the dimension you seek must be fine tuned to your particular situation . don't cut till you're absolutly sure the setup fits YOU. you don't want to be bending a lot to use your scope. you should approach the actual design with your personal comfort in mind.
looking thru the scope for long periods can be a serious pain in the neck and elsewhere.

Andrew Biggs

Yip, I just did it and feigned ignorance........a night outside in the dog box gives you character :)

If you do it after they say "No" then you are really in deep doggy doos.

One thing you have to decide is.......do you want to engrave long gun barrels. You don't want the shaft interfering with the swing of the barrel. So don't have the shaft sitting high above the maximum height of the vise/turntable.

Cheers
Andrew

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No Brian
Got a deal years ago, when lead was cheap. Still legal here for upland game and clay sports

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...a night outside in the dog box gives you character

the best line i've ever heard on this topic: "What women don't understand is that men don't mind spending an occasional night on the couch. It's not punishment, it's like getting to go camping."