against better judgement

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i decided to take a chance on a very cheap import on amazon. it was a mini ballvise. 80 bucks including shipping. to my surprise, it was a bargain. minor dings on the upper half, but rotation was very smooth. xcellent for newbie or pro. this item was made in india. the top lifts off to lube the bearing. when the jaws back out, just clear of the block, the jaws lift up still on the screw. the rubber socket is high friction, and works well with the ball.

Attachments

• mini ball.JPG
    mini ball.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 284
  • mini ball1.JPG
    mini ball1.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 283
  • mini ball2.JPG
    mini ball2.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 283
  • mini ball3.JPG
    mini ball3.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 284

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
So now you can put it in your pocket and engrave wherever you go... those boring dinner parties and such...

Just be careful which pocket you put that key in. That really could be against better judgement :(

Dunno that I would like that. A few extra hours away from engraving has gotten to be more important these days.

Brian

mrthe

Just a thing the jaws seem very big for a 3" ball,you don't feel them unbalanced when you work with?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my foto skils are quite lacking. if you strain yer orbs a bit you'll see a mirror monogram i'm doing for a lady. it's 32 x 40 mm.
mrthe:: it seems to work well for me with just push graving. i don't think i'd use it for power work. my idea was to take it to a local park, along with a fistfull of gravers and cut away. there's a danger though. i sometimes spend more time explaining to interested onlookers, than actual cutting. i don't mind though, as most find this stuff fascinating to see. i've carted a magnablock a few times out there, gettin too lazy for that. this little gem is 3" in diameter, and has the side frictionlock. i dont know of the quality of the other ones for sale, but the one i got is worth far more than the 80 bucks.
as for the link, i got it by accident. dave london posted a link a couple of days ago about ruby stones. well , i saw no ruby stones, but there was the little ball, along with rolling mills and such. only took a couple days for it to get here !

Latest posts

Sponsors