Making An Engraving Block - The Engineering Magazine 1909

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I ran into an old jeweler friend the other day whose father and grandfather had been hand engravers in New Orleans. He told me that the engraving block had been invented in New Orleans which prompted me to do some searching and led me to this old book on Google Books. It shows the Muehlmatt engraving blocks being manufactured, and says it was designed by L.W. Gery, an engraver in New Orleans.

I found it interesting and HERE IS THE LINK if you'd like to check it out.

mrthe

Seem like from Spain is not possible look inside this book,all the way thank you for the link Sam!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Seem like from Spain is not possible look inside this book,all the way thank you for the link Sam!

Paolo: It's on page 781. It's kind of cool to see the old machinery used to make engraving vises, but the photos aren't so clear. I would love to have a copy of the original magazine.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, Over on Steve's forum he has a section for old engraving tools. I thought I remembered some paten info on blocks there and sure enough there they were. In just ball vises the earliest he has locate was 1890 however a ball with a conventional vise on the top section, much like what I've seen in pictures of the shop in the old world there are patens from the 1840s to 1860s.

mrthe

Ok Sam but i can't see any page , sometime google books hide contents if you have an IP from another country.
And Yes i have find the patent of my old missman vise and are very interesting documents!

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Wow...a combination of engraving, and actual machining before CNC.... *that* was a real treat, thank you Sam!!

Latest posts

Sponsors