Graver organization

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
My system I use for my setting burrs is just a wooden block with holes drilled in it in rows of 5 holes. First hole in the row is for ball burrs, then hart burrs, then Q-setting burrs..... I arrange the burrs from smallest to biggest from left to right in the sizes I use most often. This way I keep 80 burrs in my "filing" system without the need to ever measure the sizes. It saves a lot of time if you do multiple jobs with different sized stones in one day. Just remember to put the burrs back after using them! I am going to use the same system for my Lindsay graver points and stipple punches.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think I'll try some heat shrink mostly for the sake of saving my fingers more than tool identification. I just bought a ninety degree template and a flat, also the otto carter template which i haven't tried yet. I am not cutting very well with the flat... does anyone have a picture of a well sharpened flat using the template?

I do appreciate the need for doing something to tell them apart because i stuck my 90 into my 120 template just after i got it and started sharpening and that took a lot of work to grind back out again. Oooooooops :(

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
My gravers live in drilled wooden blocks, sorted from front to rear as large to tiny and sorted left to right from narrow to wide,e.g.: bulino, 90, 106 116, 120, flats, punches, etc. Color coding tells me at a glance whether the graver is HSS, carbide, cobalt, unobtanium, etc. When switching gravers, I simply look at the face and heel for length, angle and sharpness before proceeding. On the far right I have a big hammer and chisel for demolition derbies.

Dani Girl, I learned from Mike Dubber to use model airplane silicon fuel line. You can order it in various colors from hobby shops and get color-coding and fingertip protection all in one. Cut about 1/2" length and slide it onto the graver. It is a good friction fit and slips off quickly for sharpening. Actually, I can usually resharpen a graver without removing the tubing. It is much more handy than heat shrink tubing.

Last edited:

wdale.bass

I use the fuel line for those gas powered remote controlled planes.comes in about a dozen colors from the hobby shop,10 foot lengths,cut with sissors,like you want,Purple-120, Red 90, etc.got this idea from Mike Dubber

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
dang, after a case of beer and a good jug of scotch, i don't care what graver i'm using !

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
My technique is that I bought one of the GRS carasol (sp) with room for 50-60 gravers. Then I take out the ones I use and spread them around on my bench, covering some with tweezers, pliers and anything else I have used. When I need a specific one, I put my glasses on and look 'til I think I have found it, then look under the scope at the number, for HSS or the tip shape and grind, fo C-Max.
If I didn't get it right, I know within the first 1/10mm and either sharoen to what I want or go through the search process again. The real bug in the ointment is that I engrave w/o my glasses, but need them to see my scattered gravers.

Not the best method!

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Reading all the comments seem like i make something wrong ,but for my work usually i need around 12/15 different points and i shoul use all of them in each carving i do.
A bad Habit?

I think it is a very good habit, and I ordered from Amazon this beautiful package too

Thank you for the greate idea

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd like to support the conversation, however I can not compete with Rex. :thinking:

Latest posts

Sponsors