Graver organization

mrthe

..... and i want to add experimenting with different geometryes is Fun and you can learn a lot, from my point of view is something essential in engraving.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
MrThe nailed it
For most of us engraving is a form of relaxation and should be enjoyed.
It beats doing crossword puzzles or watching tv.
Or, as Carlos points out, some of us still prefer to start ouf fire with rocks, while others prefer an engraved, silver wrapped and engraved BIC.
Both produce the same end result.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use mostly 105 and 96 about 97 percent of the time...I'm like lane if I need something the other 3 percent I just make it and adjust as needed.

mrthe

all the way,Personally i do a lot of sculpting amd micro details will be impossible for me use just 2 or 3 gravers points , i need 6/7 types of flats for example,all is relative in wich type of work you produce, maybe for Bulino you just need one like i have see in some Italian's Bottega or a stone setter need different sizes of onglette, the world of engraving is relative Big....

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
all the way,Personally i do a lot of sculpting amd micro details will be impossible for me use just 2 or 3 gravers points , i need 6/7 types of flats for example,all is relative in wich type of work you produce, maybe for Bulino you just need one like i have see in some Italian's Bottega or a stone setter need different sizes of onglette, the world of engraving is relative Big....

I don't count different sizes as a different graver as such , a flat is still a flat in my book, It's the different shapes..unless the geometry changes a cut drastically It's barely a crucial tool.

mrthe

Ok just because we want talking about organization of the gravers, what i want to say is for example, i have 7 different sizes of standard flats that can go from around 0,2 mm to 1,5 mm other 4/5 of rounded corners flats, 2/3 microgravers flats,2/3 rounded heel flats, and this are just flats, is impossible differenciate them with a just a quick look, thing that is very easy to do with a colour code, and like you can see exist a variety of flats geometryes is not only a question of shape.

mrthe

Like i have say before,maybe i'm a "green dog" a "mad man" or how you want call it :rolleyes:
But "Engraving" is not only my Job or part of my Job, but my hobby too and i like experiment when i have the time,with tools and geometry.
I'm sure that people don't need 40 types of gravers to do beautiful works,but is fun.
And yes i need colors codes to don't waste 5 minutes every time that i need the graver that i want use like you can see :graver:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
mrthe: if you have the time, sir-- please post a foto of your "rounded corner flat" graver. also a brief explanation of what you do with this graver.

mrthe

Monk this are the photos :
The Front

The Back

and the radius heel variation :

I use this type of flats to remove background and metal in general on coins,but works perfect in general sculpting work, this give you some advantages like, when you use them like they haven't straight corner give less cut resistance on the metal and are more fast and easy to use and produce less marks if you need to smooth after the background or to create curved surfaces with less cuts.

mrthe

Donny, Lindsay tools sell a template set for his sharpening system called : Paolo "mrthe" Curcio template that is my name and was developed for me, is a set that allow you sharp a lot of type of different gravers (12/13) with only 3 templates .
Is thinked for hobo nickels carving and sculpting.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My are separated by 120s, 105s, flats, rounds, punches, special purpose, etc.

graver_organization.jpg

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll admit I have a cheat sheet with all of the codes right at my bench. But mostly it's just a matter of remembering the Resistor Color Code so you know what the numbers are.

Like everyone else I tend to use a particular set of gravers for a particular job, although the set may vary based on what I'm doing. My Lindsay gravers I keep in roll cases I make and I label the slots with the type of graver and the code. That way it's easy to remember my MrThe punch is 054 and the MrThe flat is 053. That's Black Green Yellow and Black Green Orange. With regular angles I just read the number - Brown Brown Blue is a 116. White Blue is a 96.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Knowing that makes me glad to know I passed the color grading test - even if it was 30 years ago... (imagine being color blind?)

However, just reading those combinations of yours bends and twists my brain.

Mine are much much simpler. ALL flats one color, ALL "Vs another color, ALL rounds another color, etc, etc, etc...

When I clean the bench once a month or so, I rack them by width, and the 2 angles I use for my "V"s.

Oh, yeah... there is another color for the bulino points. They don't get used often...

I'm basically down to 3 or 4 liners that fit the Lindsay these days. They are all different widths and easy to visually identify.

The student gravers are coded the same - except in lighter shades, so I don't accidentally carry one back to my bench or my shop.

There is much to be said for just using a half dozen or less graver configurations for EVERYTHING - and I am moving in that direction!

Brian

I'm gonna guess you bought the BIG jar of 22,000 beads? Sounds like you may need 'em... :)

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok, I'm feeling like I have issues. I use a 105 and a 42 flat. I guess I could color code them...

mrthe

Sam seeing your photo and if every tray color have the same geometry in different shepes,sizes,face angle,heels, i'm feel a little better because i'm not the only one maybe hehe, i like the idea!

Latest posts

Sponsors