Cincinnati Reds Knife

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Just had to share this one! Doesn’t get much more gratifying than to have the opportunity to hand engrave a knife for a player from your all time favorite Major League Baseball team! I grew up near Cincinnati and lived and breathed the Reds! Homer loves the outdoors and was pleased with this knife for his collection. Comments and critique are always welcome. Thanks for looking! ~David

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
I can't critique because I am a new engraver but what a cool story and a BEAUTIFUL knife. Well done!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not a reds fan-- but you have done well engraving this knife. he should cherish this for a long, long time. very nice job !

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David I have a question, in picture number 1, I can see the item is very reflective, how did you get the lighting right so it would photograph.

I'm working worth a highly polished slide, would like to take some nice pictures when in done.

Thanks

Saludos,

Carlos

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos, the top two I took outside on a cloudy day. For the other ones I used a table top lightbox setup that I have been experimenting with. It cuts the reflections but also cuts down on the sparkle and shine. I should have used a few black cards inside the lightbox to make it pop a bit more. I attached a photo of my small setup. My photography is coming along slower than my engraving! It is a whole art in itself. Sam has some good articles on it.
lightbox.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Check the http://knifenetwork.com forums. You will find a forum of Sharp by Coop that has great info as well as Sam's and others heres info. Coop does lots of the high end knife photos for publication on the net and print. He is a professional photographer of knives. Fred

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice cutting David and also nice pictures, I have a colleague who has a simular photo box with magnificient result.
Thanks for showing, I might consider to buy a type as you use.
What brand of camera do you use?

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Willem and thanks for the nice words. I use a Canon Rebel T3i with the standard lens that comes with it. (18-55mm) I am thinking of trying out a Canon macro lens but they are kinda pricey and I may have to wait for Christmas! Hope all is well with you.

Sponsors