No 1 of 8 finished.

dlmorl

Very nice.I am only in the early stages of the metal work I am interested in, Hope to produce that quality of art in the future. Thanks for posting pics.dlmorl

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill, years ago it was down to your ability, also a big part of that was your tools, ie push and H&C, in fact the hardest part of engraving was being able to use these tools and also being able to sharpen them. Today it is so much easier, ok, one still has to know how to use power tools, but believe me, it's a piece of cake today....also the sharpening!

Phil

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Phil. You know I think that sometimes we all need to go back to a much more basic form of hand engraving. One without all the bells and whistles We today seem to skip the things which give us the graver control for advancement. I hear that in the old days Master Engravers would give a student a plate and have him fill it with different geometries which he would do over and over. It would take years of just cutting the basics before they were allowed to move on to more detail and design. If I did not have bills to pay I would like to go back to that method and study the Hand engraving art in a more relaxed environment.
Yes I also feel learning to sharpen and make different cutting gravers is a big part of the secret. the other part is Practice Cutting, Practice Drawing and Practice listening to the Masters of this art.
All of us thank you and other Master Engravers for sharing your skills at this Art of Hand Engraving.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bloody good. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you. A feast for the eyes.