No 1 of 8 finished.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Ppps. Those leaves that you have brought off the borders.You have some eye for design you really do. And that ladder effect on some of the scrolls!! So much detailing young Phil.......... Absolutely incredible

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"It would take years of just cutting the basics before they were allowed to move on to more detail and design. If I did not have bills to pay I would like to go back to that method and study the Hand engraving art in a more relaxed environment"

Bill,

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but what you wrote intrigued me. Why would you want to return to several years of being a true Novice with it's soul crushing repetition to master something that you can learn comfortably in a far shorter period? I'm not saying anything against push or H/C, just the concept of Novice to Apprentice to Master. I understand the fascination of replicating the techniques of old but would you really want to spend years in practicing parallel lines and simple curves without the ability to produce something artistic? I guess I'm too old to not value my remaining years of hopeful creativity.

celticjohn

I'm going to ask a silly question. Are these guns bought off the shelf "retail store" and then sent for engraving or does a customer go to a gun maker "Purdy" etc and request to have it engraved. The gun maker sends it to the engraver. it is then hardened and assembled by the gun maker and given to their customer.
This kind of engraving I'll love to aspire to but since there's no gun makers in Ireland would there really be any point it taking the time to concentrate on this sort of engraving.

Another silly question do gun makers sell spare parts, ie side plates etc for practicing on. just a later thought

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fabulous layouts and the execution is at the top of the trade. A magnificent job. Thanks for sharing your work with us. You are very fast at this too. Fred

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm going to ask a silly question. Are these guns bought off the shelf "retail store" and then sent for engraving or does a customer go to a gun maker "Purdy" etc and request to have it engraved. The gun maker sends it to the engraver. it is then hardened and assembled by the gun maker and given to their customer.
This kind of engraving I'll love to aspire to but since there's no gun makers in Ireland would there really be any point it taking the time to concentrate on this sort of engraving.

Another silly question do gun makers sell spare parts, ie side plates etc for practicing on. just a later thought
The guns are bought, then either the customer askes the makers to get them engraved or asks the makers to arrange for a specific engraver to engrave them, or he goes straight to the engraver which was the case with these eight.

Gunmakers don't usually supply side plates to practice on.

Phil

celticjohn

The guns are bought, then either the customer askes the makers to get them engraved or asks the makers to arrange for a specific engraver to engrave them, or he goes straight to the engraver which was the case with these eight.

Gunmakers don't usually supply side plates to practice on.

Phil

Cheers Phil,

So you're engraving the finished product, no hardening afterwards

I just hear the American engravers go on previously about case hardening guns after engraving etc, sure that has to be an art in itself.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cheers Phil,

So you're engraving the finished product, no hardening afterwards

I just hear the American engravers go on previously about case hardening guns after engraving etc, sure that has to be an art in itself.

No, the guns come to me after they are made and in the white, when I finish the engraving they go back for hardening.

Phil

celticjohn

Yeah, that's what I thought Phil. That kinds limits me on this side of the water.
I'll have to look into it further.

Latest posts

Sponsors