Help, please: Rectifier power for plating 5amps or 30amps

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello, here is my new dilema, always something to buy.

I hate to admit this but my culture for some reasons evryone wants a shiny ,bling, if you can call it that, firearm. Ive been learning how to polish, to a high luster. Ive been blessed that my local ffl/gunsmith is a 4th generation gunsmith. Ive been learning how to polish with leather, yep how colt used to do it in the old days, so interesting, but enough about that.

We got to talking, and want to split the bill and learn how to plate, basically nickle and eventually gold. Ive been looking at casewell plating, they seem to be the only ones with a class its an online class consisting of videos and literature. They sell a start up kit that includes a 3 amp rectifier, i know thats not enough. So the next step up is a 5 amp and then the jump to a 30 amp.

According to caswell the 5amp should be good for firearms like a full size 1911.

Should I buy the rectifier from them or is there a better source, which should i get, i believe he told me there is a 300 dollar difference.

What are your thoughts over all with casewell and the online course?

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
I have casewells cold blue for stainless steel and it works well, I have not used any of their electro plating solutions,but I would assume they would work well too. Most of my plating experience is small plating in jewelry, and is limited in anything other than precious metals; any time you are plating your prep work and metal cleanliness is key, as I'm sure you know. Grobet sells a 5amp that is a fabulous machine that will give you years of service, I cannot think of any reason (with my admittedly limited knowledge) you would need more than 5 amps. I know there are 10 and 12 amp machines out there, so you might try shopping around a bit as well if more amperage would make you more comfortable.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My experience is only with small jewelry as well, but while doing research I've heard nothing but good reviews about Caswell's.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Its easy the more cm/3 you want to plate the more amps do you need look at the description of the plating solution.
Why dont send the engravings to an plating service ?
The solutions are full of poison like cyanid and very expensive.

mrthe

Its easy the more cm/3 you want to plate the more amps do you need look at the description of the plating solution.
Why dont send the engravings to an plating service ?
The solutions are full of poison like cyanid and very expensive.
I agree plating is not easy and all the materials and knowledges that you need requiere time and money, and time is miney too, maybe is better that you focus in engraving and send them to a professional

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I used to plate some, and even owned a precious metals refinery for 4 or 5 years. Still have remnants of equipment around here...

Preparation for plating is a PITA, and we had solvent tanks, steamers and a large ultrasonic cleaner.

The plating is quick. (unless you make a mistake in the prep - in which case you have to strip and start over)

If I had a family around, I would not expose them to the risks. When I had those businesses they were no where near where we lived.

And yeah, most of the gold, silver and nickle plating seemed to be requested by the "culture" so to speak...

Brian

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
I don't wrote plating is easy but to answer the question is easy. For plating it's essentiell to know what you are doing with all the toxic stuff and electricity You have to work absolutly clean and focused you have to care about your health and about your family if you work at home

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you all for the replies the plating equipment would be at the gunsmiths shop, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Caswells plating Systems they have some very small and controllable sizes home plating if you can call it that, no huge tanks.

Saludos,

Carlos

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do a lot of plating but never did a whole gun. As far as gold plating goes I never use over 3 volts and I don't think the amperage ever exceeds 5 or 6 amps. It's not like your doing bumpers. Rio Grande has a lot of stuff and a good instruction manual. Most of the plating solution have the directions on the labels. You are more likely to need less power than more.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Unless the solutions and protocol have changed a lot over the years, there is also some fine tuning to be done...

Temperature and age of the solution. Also the size/area of the anode.

Thicker plating, done over a longer period of time at lower settings.

These are just a few that come to mind. (plus variables like the phase of the moon) :)

Brian

Electroforming is a related animal. More fun!

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've purchased many chemicals from them. if you can find a surplus outlet near you, you can get the power supply far cheaper than caswell sells them for. you might also try craigslist, ebay, and others as well. i also think they have a forum for persons wanting to learn "how to".

cutfingers

It is so interesting to me, that the plating industry still calls these "rectifiers". I really believe you could visit your electronics distributor, and just buy a bench or lab "power supply". Probably could save some money. Also, see if there is a ham radio club which has a swap meet, or has an online "swap net" and ask one of the hams to watch out for a big old Hewlett Packard or Tektronix industrial power supply. They almost give them away, because no one want to ship them, and no buyer wants to pay shipping. They are built like a tank, and almost as heavy. The old ones are not switching power supplies so the internal components are large and heavy. The hams call them "boat anchors". They will all know what you are talking about. (Tell them you want low voltage, high current models only). Some university surplus stores have these too.

Latest posts

Sponsors