Speaking of fixtures

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used the GRS Workholding Plate for many years and finally got around to making a slight modification to suit my needs.
With the 8" extended "keel", I can now position the fixture anywhere in the MagnaBlock .

Attachments

• Workholdingfixture.jpg
    Workholdingfixture.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 512

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, it is very similar to my fixture but with only adjustment on the Y axis. It would be very difficult to build one round with X axis adjustment. Nice fixture. I wish I had mad some plates with the milled groves instead of just pin holes. Good job. Fred

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Monk---Thermoloc in particular, but you could use anything.
Clay, duct seal, hot glue, Bondo (autobody putty), etc.,etc. Depending on your needs.
I ordered 1"X 1"X 36" 6061 Aluminum bar stock. Cut two 8" pieces for the plates and will use the rest for turning stock.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tyvm, i use thermoloc and hot melt only. long days ago got some jet-set. disaster- i gave it away to a forum member. in the oid days, got a cast iron pitch bowl and a pound or 2 of pitch. what a mess that was !

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I would think that the "waffle" pattern you used for the top of the Bradyblock would be just as effective and easier to mass produce. same 6" circle top with the 1x1 rail with the waffle pattern....I get mine half price when you start making them :)

Donny

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a bradyblock lucky me!!! It's really handy for when you want to go portable, I've used it in the car while waiting for my girls, cheerleading, dance, Tae Kwon Do. I use an attachment that sits on the steering wheel, you know the type to have lunch on the go and some optivisors, thats where I learned to conquer my scrolls and strait lines.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
dilazteca: we all heard way up here in pa. about all the car crashes you had. now we know why !

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I will try that Brian.

Fred, I still use your fixtures. You are right about the pin holes - the thermoloc won't stick to the aluminum, so I had to countersink the pinholes on the backside. As an improvement, I am going to have a friend modify the plates by milling some tiny dovetail keyways like Brian used on the Brady Block, but much smaller. Where do I order a 3/16" dovetail cutter?

By the way, if you ever make more fixtures, I could use a few more 3" plates. Or should I have my friend make them. If I buy the cutters, he will work for tools.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike thanks for using my fixture. I use mine everyday as well. My milling machining is sitting in a warehouse waiting to be moved to the ne shop if I can ever afford to finish construction. SS disability doesn't stretch to far. I would go with the friend and add the dove tails. For that matter you have my permission to produce the would device if you want to. Aluminum added a lot to the cost-steels cheap. I just did it for weight. If you get setup to make dove tailed 6 inch plates I would Like to buy a couple from you. Thanks Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors