practice

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fun piece. Your engraving is a good example of what I said recently about making work your own. You're not doing anything in particular that hasn't been done before yet somehow it is recognizable as Shawns work. I've figured out a few of the key components and it's amazing how subtle, but important they are.
Nice job.
Layne
And I think castings are always an excellent idea.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn, I know that this is a practice piece but I would like to make a couple of comments if you don't mind.

In Heraldry line direction and pattern is used to signify color. While engraving is black and something (steel, copper, brass, gold, etc) I been working at developing color by using different shading techniques on different elements of the design. For instance very light, fine shading on a rose to signify a light color like white or light yellow. Heavier shading to signify a darker color like red or dark green. I have tried cross hatching elements of all the same structure to make them appear one hue. The same with the front side of leaves shaded differently than the back side to show differences in color. Tried mixing leaf structures on different scrolls with different shading to show a different or mix of plant color. Most have failed dismally. they often appear that I just don't know how to shade or am lazy in my shading as the project develops. I note that you have a mix of shading techniques on various elements. Could it be that you are attempting the same as I? Fred

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred
I don't have a good answer for you.
i continue to discover new ways to shade leaf structures .....
with just a slight variety of light and dark shade l.ines one can achieve many different effects
I just try to aim for something that i like
shading can be like putting up your Christmas lights.
one person will put up a modest display while his neighbor will add every light and scene. that he can squeeze onto his property .
it depends on the amount of effort you are willing to invest.

Last edited:

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
A pistol coach once told me that "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."Those are beauiful practice pieces.
Perfection is near.
Cheers
Don

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One day I will take a couple private lessons from you, if you do not mind? Very well done, thanks

Sponsors