Ruby sharpening stone

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Ordered the 1/2" stone from Amazon on July 13th. The following unexpected and unwelcome shipping notification appeared in my Amazon account order history just yesterday:

Ship Carrier: China Post We're sorry. We are unable to retrieve more tracking details for this shipment.

Nowhere on the product description or the merchant's page is there any indication that the product comes from China. Generally I can tell by the language or page layout, but not this time. Shipping estimate goes through the end of next month.

Irritating - this means that any return options (shipping not included!) are off the table, and who knows when it will actually arrive or what will arrive in the first place.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Heh.... Gesswein certainly does, but definitely not at the $29 price point! Perhaps that should have been my first clue... :) I'll post to let everyone know how the one I ordered works out. Hopefully I'm being unfair and my business related prejudices against Chinese products will be proven false.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Bob A, you may get lucky, but I hate to trust to luck. Since there was no "meeting of the minds" regarding some important aspects of the transaction, and because of the unusual delay between the placing of the order and the notification of undefined shipping methods, if it were my order, I would cancel it immediately. Amazon will usually cooperate. Please let us know how your order works out.

I went through a similar fiasco with Sears recently on a $1,000+ order and found, after much back-and-forth with call-center flunkies,that the only way to solve the problems Sears had caused with the order was to cancel the order and buy from another vendor, which I did. I also sent an email to the Vice President of Retail Marketing to advise her of the problems I had encountered with the layers of management and the offshore call-centers.

I will give Sears credit for this: After the cancellation, a rep from Sears VP of marketing called me and gave me his direct number and asked me to run any further orders directly through him so that he could ensure that I received proper service in the future. I have not yet used that number, but I may do so just to see how serious the man was.

Last edited:

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I wouldn't paint all Chinese vendors on Ebay with the same brush. I recently bought an hour meter for my lawn tractor, it arrived and wouldn't work. I e-mailed the guy and he sent me out another one at his expense the same day. Great service. If the unit had been made in Canada or the USA I expect the first one would have arrived in working condition.
Cheers
Don

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep they are from China, the 10cmx4cmx.5cm arrived and it looks and works perfect. still waiting on the larger 1/2 thick one. when i placed both orders it stated that the wait time was 4 to 6 weeks. Also i am not a big fan of China made stuff but however at around one twentieth the price MTC. YMMV

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Yep they are from China, the 10cmx4cmx.5cm arrived and it looks and works perfect. still waiting on the larger 1/2 thick one. when i placed both orders it stated that the wait time was 4 to 6 weeks. Also i am not a big fan of China made stuff but however at around one twentieth the price MTC. YMMV

Returned today and the 1/2" version was waiting for me! It looks just fine, think this is one for the Win column. Took a few weeks to ship, but other than that everything else was good, including communications with the seller. Bob

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Picked one up as well and the quality is not that of Gesswein stones. (At least on the one I bought). Does make a nice knock around stone though!

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
I have two , lost one behind the work bench and I purchased another years later when I moved the workbench I found the old one it had separated from the box and the new exposed surface was a very find grit as compared to the medium of the original surface, now I have two one fine one medium.

Latest posts

Sponsors