Ruby sharpening stone

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Estone New Ruby 3000 Grit Knife Razor Sharpener Stone
www.amazon.com › ... › Knife Sharpeners
The Ruby Sharpening stone is made from sintered crystals of synthetic ruby; It's extremely hard, maintain their shape well and are resistant to wear; Install easy ...
I have no connection to sellers or mfg

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Link: Estone New Ruby 3000 Grit Knife Razor Sharpener Stone

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I still have mine, also over 40 years old.

Occasionally I take it out and pet it... as I do other tools that have been "left behind" in a dark drawer - they need some attention once in a while. (and dusting)

Just got too spoiled with power assisted sharpening over the last ten years or so.

Brian

Last edited:

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Not to mention for a few bucks more, there's also an 8" ruby stone with 1/2" height, if you use the Lindsay system it should fit right in.

Bob

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Couldn't find the 8" x 1/2" ruby stone that 'Bob A' mentioned. Went to several sites, and saw the ruby stone mentioned was quite small, like the one marketed by Gesswein many years ago and selling for quite high a price, back then. If shimmed up to 1/2" height, for the Lindsay set up, it'd work well for short strokes and final finish. Did I see a 3,000/10,000 grit also offered? That might be the way to go, but the wide gap in grits might be a problem, and there may be no need to go beyond 3,000 grit. I know it depends upon your work, as I learned from the use of Japanese waterstones sharpening high $$$ Japanese beautician's shears. For the price, the stone mentioned might be a Pacific Rim item. I think for the price, a couple around the bench may be a good idea, and I see a lot of orders being placed.

mrthe

Vilts thank you, do they ship to Estonia? to Spain not unluckly ruby stones are great i will happy to have a 1/2 inch high one.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
That is the one, sorry for not posting the link, plain lazy on my part thanks for covering for me Vilts!.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts thank you, do they ship to Estonia? to Spain not unluckly ruby stones are great i will happy to have a 1/2 inch high one.

Not sure they do, probably not. Actually a while ago I ordered this one from Lee Valley - http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/Page.aspx?p=44628&cat=1,43072,43071. I use it all the time and it is very nice indeed. Also 1/2", so fits the Lindsay system perfectly. I usually sharpen with 2k diamond and then with 8k ceramic, if I really need mirror finish on graver I do few passes on diamond loaded leather (or the 0.5 micron lapping disc from RioGrande).

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk,

Diamond is a 10 on the Mohs hardness scale. Synthetic ruby (corundum) is a 9 on the same scale. You would think that that would make it nearly as hard as diamond.

The problem with the Mohs scale is that it jumps around. It was based on 10 original stone hardnesses - which are NOT relative to "actual" hardnesses between the stones chosen.

Although I've owned one for 40+ years and probably used mine for 20 of those years (?) - you need to keep in mind that the gravers we used back in those days were not the exotic compositions used these days...

Mine, after all those years of use - is still perfectly flat and shows no "grooving".

I'm not at all sure that that will be the case with metals as hard as "Carbalt" and "CMax"?

I'll stick with the proven diamond and ceramic combination - combined with powered assistance...

Brian

Last edited:

mrthe

I use my ruby stones with carbaltx and cmax and work well if his mohs is 9 is the same of a Ceramic stone , for example the spyderco ones are marked at 9 in the Mohs scale

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Guess you are right Paolo. Never thought to look up the ceramic hardness - always thought it was up around 9.5 for some reason. Maybe they manufactured some that were that hard back 15 years ago?

Plus I was thinking of them as comparable whetstones - not just a carrier for diamond slurry.

IF they are sintered as well as the ceramics are, they may give 'em a run for the money?

Wonder how long before someone makes discs out of the material for the lapidary guys, so we can steal 'em?

Brian

Last edited:

mrthe

Brian you can buy Ruby stone laps in ebay from China with a 1/2 hole center hole ( the seller sell them with the hole size that you need) suitable for the common power hones are not very big , only 4" like the diamond laps that i use but big enough to sharp all type of gravers.

Latest posts

Sponsors