New to hand engraving, need some pointers for equipment purchase

briantplatt

Hello Engravers!

Would like some suggestions as to a good engraving rig for marking firearms. We've subcontracted stuff like this out previously, but have a need in house now.

What we need is a setup to mark serial numbers on some imported firearms, with a minimum depth of .003 inches.

Would love to buy from someone on the forum, or would appreciate any advice you have for equipment selections.

Thanks!

-Brian

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You need to narrow it down a bit...

Etching, laser, pantograph and hand engraving are all gonna get you the depth - some cost less than others.

Some take quite a bit less skill too.

Brian

Another consideration is whether the parts you want the serial numbers on - are hardened. And to what degree?

And whether the only addition you want is serial numbers? Never gonna need "ornamental" work?

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cheap (comparitively), would be the pantograph with a rotary spindle as part of the purchase. a router speed controller can be used to lower the speed if needed. i've done a few slides and whatnot with it. i'd consider it close to worthless for anything but numbers.
having said that, i make my own master templates, and find it very handy for doing quick layouts using the diamond drag technique. as far as decorative work on guns, i'd only use it for layout that was to be engraved over by hand.
as for the lasers, i would again use mine only to do a layout to be gone over by hand. my laser was 25k bucks when i bought it. they aint cheap, but money can be earned with them .

Latest posts

Sponsors