Question: Quick question regarding which Gravers to purchase for Foredom...

jdogg

I just got a heck of a deal on a foredom hammer graver (old..) and flex shaft motor. I am looking to get started, and so far have little enough invested to get the correct gravers. Could anyone give me suggestions for which ones to get? I know you have to make them fit your powergraver, but some seem partially fit and others are completely untouched. Some are longer, some are short... etc. The tip section suggested 2 square gravers. I would love to purchase these - I just need to know what these would be! Thanks so much, this site is awesome.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm not sure what modifications would have to be made to allow standard gravers to work with this tool you've bought. assuming you can modify them to fit the hammer handpiece, most who lurk here use square, flat, round, onglette, liners, and yes --even custom made gravers. the custom gravers are very much individualized to allow cuts that aren't easily done with the store-bought blanks. your choice of gravers would be determined by the type work you wish to do. also, the gravers are variously available in carbon steel, hss, carbalt, carbide, and glensteel- just to further confuse you. it's to your advantage to see if there's an engraver near you who could assist you in making the right choices. engraving is quite a bit more involved and complicated than it may seem. good luck in your pursuit of this fascinating art.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Post some pictures of your hand piece, did it come with any gravers installed post some pictures so we can see the size of the fitting? I hope this works out for you. To often do you see people buy more than once and regret not saving up to buy GRS, Lindsay, or Enset products for example. I could be wrong, please keep us posted.

Saludos,

Carlos

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
There are a couple of photos of Foredom hammer type hand pieces on the Buy & Sell,second posting. Not sure if these are like the one purchased by jdogg. Still can't see the important part, the business end.
Don

jdogg

I actually have the h.15 style hand piece and it looks like I will have to use the screw in type. Although they appear to be less desirable, and there are fewer options, I think it will work just fine when I start out. My next plan is to make a jig to form them. I was looking at the 120 degree set up. I think there will be quite a bit of forming to get this to happen but I have time. Do you know if I can just chuck them up in a milling machine? I was thinking I would try it as they arrive first and then if they are still too hard I would anneal them and harden them again after the shaping.

Sponsors