PLASTIC CAST your engravings.

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
I've been making plastic cast of some of the engravings I've done, and some of the factory engraved Brownings I own, using the Kerr extrude wash moldmaking kit, along with the alumilite two part liquid plastic. I was wondering if anyone has used any other type of compounds with any degree of success ? Is there anything better ,or perhaps cheaper that works as well?

I give these away to some of my friends ,and they seem to really enjoy recieving these cast.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is a place on ebay called aeromarine that sells a two part rtv silicone mold rubber that I use and like very much. They also sell a two part polystyrene plastic just like alumilite that I like better. It seems to have a longer shelf life, is much cheaper, and has a longer pot life or working time.

Thier products are mcuh cheaper than the dental rubbers and I like them much better. I get the same quality but I am not put in a rush to get things done before things start to set up.

Ray

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Bill, how about taking some photos of your castings and post here for us to see. I use both mold and cast materials from GRS. I've had good success with this. The detail really turns out well unfortunately so do my screw ups. I'm putting together a collage of various engraving castings along with some of my African momentos into picture frames for all my grandchildren. This, of course, is so they will know how their inheritance was spent!:D :D

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Ray,
Do you have a brand name on the mold rubber and plastic? I didn't find it on their site.

Roger Henrichs

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Ray,
Thanks for the link. There is another aeromarine site on ebay and they have boating related products.

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors