Microscope set up

tonytigerhk45

Elite Cafe Member
Some questions on scope set up's.
1 What power of scope do I need.
2 Do I need a Positioning Vise.
3 Will a turn table with a regular vice work.
4 Can you just use a regular vise and scope.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
1.) The zoom range of the Meiji EMZ-5 is considered to be the normal setup for engraving, ideally equipped with 10x eyepieces and a 0.5x objective.
2.) You need some sort of positioning arrangement, whether it's a Positioning Vise or turntable with another vise. You don't need both the Positioning Vise and turntable.
3.) Yes, but low profile vises are optimized for turntables and microscope work. Taller vises means the vise must be lower or the microscope must be higher as the working distance (between the scope and the vise) doesn't change.
4.) Yes, but you'll be chasing the work around with the scope and wasting a bunch of time. It's very frustrating and I definitely do not recommend it. You want the area you're engraving to be centered under the microscope.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
with the 10x occulars and .5 objective, the power range is more than adequate for most normal engraving. should more power be needed, simply purchase 15x occulars.
i have a home brewed vise support that features both a turntable and a grs positioning vise. i use the positioning vise for scope work only. you will be surprized how huge a 2x3" practice plate becomes when magnified. at first it seems a strange way to do things, but one acclimates to the scope rather quickly.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Keep in mind that many scopes, (most as far as I know) will be too powerful as they come and therefore have a very short working distance. Around 4" for a 7 x 45 scope which is most common setup. The .5 barlow lens is needed for these and attaches at the objective as Sam mentioned. This will the power in half and increases the working distance to 8' which is suitable for engraving.

Sponsors