Help, please: Blank Wax Seal Source

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think there is a bit of info in the tips section. i'd also think youtube may show some info in that regard.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Aha, Carlos!

Now you have a reason (excuse) to go out and buy a lathe and turn some parts from wood, steel and brass!

Brian

(and then comes the milling machine)

hahahah

I've been looking today actually, this is the part where engraving leads to other tools/expenses.

Not sure what I'm looking for yet.

was thinking of buying that rod and cutting something resembling a thick coin, then gluing that to a piece of round wood, saw something similar in a YouTube video. He used a hardened clay for the stamp I'm thinking about using brass, what do you think I can skip the lathe for now

Saludos,

Carlos

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yep, Silly Putty is definitely useful - even when you are an adult...

And you are gonna need a coupla kinds of sealing wax, and more gravers, and die sinkers stones, and, and, and, and...

(in addition to the lathe and mill)

Brian

We made a line of these a long time ago. Cast the fancy "handles" outta bronze. Soldered brass or silver discs to the working end. In fact I just ran across a box of a thousand or so of the 1" brass discs a coupla weeks ago. Send me a PM with your address and I can put some of the discs in the mail for you to practice on...

Andrew Biggs

Brass rod with a bit of wood glued on it for a handle is cheap and nasty.

Take some pride in the thing that you are about to spend some time on.........Buy one from GRS or somewhere else and have something decent to use and show people. They are inexpensive and look like a million dollars.

Cheers
Andrew

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brass rod with a bit of wood glued on it for a handle is cheap and nasty.

Beauty is a construct, there are limitless variations to that word.
It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

I know of someone with a lathe its not like I was going to cut a piece of broom stick and glue it together. Plus it would make a great and cheap practice piece.

There is no greater reward than when you make something yourself with your own hands.

Haven't you seen all the old antique sealers/stamps works of art some of them.

I'm sure those were not bought at GRS.

Brian,

Great idea I'll shoot you my address.

Saludos,

Carlos

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have some that came from an engraver in Sweden several years ago. They're wooden handles and blank brass ends that can be glued in after engraving. The ones GRS sells are patterned after these if my memory serves me right, but I think the handles are aluminum. Wood is nicer but the aluminum handle can be engraved.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Go to Online Metals, buy brass rod in the length you want for the brass part. The resulting disc can be then drilled and tapped for a handle. I made fancy coffee tampers that way using aluminum 1.5" diameter and about 3/4" thick. For the handle I turned cocobolo that I drilled and tapped for a piece of all thread. The wood handles screwed on and off of the disc. The pain was finish sanding the aluminum discs to a mirror finish, properly done for a wax seal, that should not be a major problem.

Sponsors