lets talk vises

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a microscope I want to work under. At present making do with a microblock on a cutting mat which slides around easily.

I am putting thought into what vise i want to upgrade to when i've got enough $

There are standard, magna block, low profile, positioning .... that's just grs.

Has anyone used one or more of these and have anything to say.

Does anyone know much about other vises... the more info the better.

Looking forward to everyone's imput.

Thankyou

Danae.

cwbyengraver

Hi Dani I have used all kinds of block's, at the engrave-in. I got to use the Lindsay turntable vise, it is light #15 I think but it is so balanced you can hold much heaver things. Because when you lean the vise to the side the work stays over the center, and at the same height. Plus you don't have move the vise around so much to chase the work. At $350 it's the best deal out there.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
depends a lot on what you plan on cutting. a small-ish block is fine for jewelry, nickels, and other small objects, but guns, motorcycle parts, medium-to-large knives will require something bigger.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Hi;
I have both a micro block and a standard grs block. I just got the micro last week and as you know , as you have one , it is great for small items and it is easily moved on the turntable for keeping your work centered. Much easier to slide around than the larger vice. That said, you can't beat a heavier vice for larger items and heavier cutting. Both are GRS so quality and longevity should be unsurpassed. I'm sure this is nothing you didn't already know but some newbie might benefit.
Cheer .
Don

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
I have used the micro, standard and now use a magna block for all of my work, get the biggest you can. Small items are easy on a big vise, big items are impossible on a small one. Ty.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the positioning (grs) works well, though i don't really like it for heavier items. the grs magnablock is great for the heavier stuff, but a bit less handy for the tiny stuff. the positioning model is really very more useful when chasing all those curves using a scope. i forgot to mention-- the magnablock can be made more manageable by using a variety of different materials for the socket. the best for light stuff, i turned a socket of nylon using a lathe. the nylon one gives maximum movement with less effort, at least for me.

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are under a scope then some low profile kind. Not much to say there that hasn't been said a hundred times.
What I can add to the conversation is that if you are working on all flat stuff then you don't need an engraving vice at all. Machinist vice, or two jaw chuck... Or a chunk of lead with a shellac plate on top. Tilting is a liability under the scope. Especially if you are working on flat stuff. All assuming you are working on some kind of turntable, of course.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
turntable and vice

yes, at present I am working on a little turntable a mate knocked up for me to tide me over made out of the spinning part of a fan that had been thrown out. He put it together really well, I was impressed.

Yes, define socket, I'm not sure what you are meaning, is that the part the ball sits in to make it tilt easier?

I am thinking I want to be getting a vise that I can do anything I'll ever want to engrave in. Big heavy stuff included.

I am hoping to find a drill press stand to put my vise on one day so it won't matter much if it's low profile as I'll just wind the stand down further?

What's that base made of on the lindsay low profile vise, it's an interesting look.

Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the look of the lindsay low profile. Has anyone who's used one felt like it was restrictive or would limit me in any way?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've been working on my engraving studio and one of the upgrades was a drill press stand for my low profile vise & turntable. I also plan to do one for my student bench.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dani Girl

you said it yourself you want a vise to work on anything, then get a magnablock, I have a grs turntable it comes with a pad that you sit your magnablock on to help it slide.

Watch "Unboxing: GRS Turntable" on YouTube
Unboxing: GRS Turntable: https://youtu.be/soXDYXMDQjQ

Saludos,

Carlos

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And so you don't chase your work get a turntable here is an example.

Watch "How to: center work on microscope for engraving" on YouTube
How to: center work on microscope for engraving: https://youtu.be/EBmH3SxyERk

this is what Sam was talking about. There are many variations but this is the gist of it.

Watch "engraving 101 drill press stand" on YouTube
engraving 101 drill press stand: https://youtu.be/dKAgcq-F96Y

Saludos,

Carlos

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
Dani girl, I have a Lindsay low profile vise. It is precision machined peice. It it were taken from me. I would buy another one.
Hope this helps you.
Todd

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Be aware that the older vises like Victor, LeTourneau, GRS, etc. - have a standard hole size and pattern on the pin plates.

The Lindsay vises have a unique pattern and hole size.

If you already have a lot of pin based fixtures to fit the older vises or have made your own over the years - like me (or plan to get any) - they won't fit on the Lindsay vises...

That would include all of the new stone setting/engraving fixtures that Jura makes, for example. Only Lindsay fixtures will fit Lindsay vises.

Brian

Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
grs positioning vise

Does anyone know of a video i could watch of someone using or explaining the grs positioning vise, or any other good videos showing off vises?

ps thanks Diltazteca

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Be aware that the older vises like Victor, LeTourneau, GRS, etc. - have a standard hole size and pattern on the pin plates.

The Lindsay vises have a unique pattern and hole size.

If you already have a lot of pin based fixtures to fit the older vises or have made your own over the years - like me (or plan to get any) - they won't fit on the Lindsay vises...

That would include all of the new stone setting/engraving fixtures that Jura makes, for example. Only Lindsay fixtures will fit Lindsay vises.

Brian
was unaware of that thank you

Saludos,

Carlos

Latest posts

Sponsors