Best stonesetting school?

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Like the title says what is the best stone setting school? One that offers like a one week class. I can't leave for months at a time. I keep here about a couple in Germany an Belgium but the ticket there cost twice as much as the school.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
http://www.newapproachschool.com/
These are highly recommended and I think pretty local to you. However you will only be learning the very basics in one week. Setting is like engraving. It takes years to become proficient at all disciplines like channel, rub over/flush, grain/bead etc. I wish you well in your pursuits.
PS. I believe Chris DeCamillis offers one on one internet training if travelling is a problem.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
GRS has 1week stone setting class by several instructors. I took the course from Todd Daniels a couple years ago. It was a great course and Todd is a fabulous instructor. There is a combination for jewelers taught by Todd. It starts July 28. The course description indicates that it will cover stone setting.
Sandy

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Blaine Lewis and his New Approach School is pretty fantastic. He's a GREAT instructor and his facility is world class. Highly recommended.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Claw, rubover & bead are the 3 types of setting, each has several variants & anything else is a combo of the main 3.
Once you understand the theory, It's a case of experiencing every alternative many times..not to forget all the material combinations change the game abit!
Only then will you build up enough know how & a sixth sense of avoiding problems to tackle whatever your given.
Good luck, It's a long but fun trip :)

Last edited:

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Chris M and I both took the Blaine Lewis Comprehensive Stone Setting Class this last February and I would Highly recommend his classes. Blaine is a excellent teacher and his class is setup to really show you what is happening from his bench as he instructs you. I got this recommendation from Sam Alfano and it was given from someone who has had years of experience

JakeW

I am a jeweler who engraves and have set more stones than I can count over my 20 years in the jewelry business. So I would say it depends on what kind of tools you have. Blaine is great teacher but does not have Gravermax to work with. So if you have Gravermax then GRS might be better if you don't then Blaine would be better. Also what kind of setting will you be focusing on? More prong then it does not matter. But if you are going to do bezel, channel, bead setting with Gravermax then GRS might be better or a school that has GRS tools.

Sponsors