My latest carvings...

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Tim; This selection of your work is unreal. The variety of subject matter is staggering. They are a study in form and how clothing drapes on the human figure. I do a little wood carving and it is always a challenge to get clothes to look right for me. You are doing it on a hobo. I would like to know how you get the final smooth finish on them, are they sanded,buffed, cut or punched. Also I have to know what you were on when you did the second from the top,"Got to get me some of that". Picasso push over! Great work, thanks for sharing.
Regards\Don

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I really like these!! Great work. I have a sleeve of Buffalo nickels awaiting my attention..these make me wanna give them a try soon!!

Donny

tim wolf

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Don, Thanks for the kind words about my work!!
This is how i do: For all the carving i use square graver(90°)
To remove background i use flat graver(37-38) or burs(0.2-0.3-0.4).
After it depends; sometimes i sandblast(with glassbeads), sometimes i use punches(experiment with different shapes),
others i do with abrassive sticks or discs, polishing pins or glasfibre pencils.
As i am quit new to this i try to experiment with different techniques to see what i like best, also to put some variation in my work.
This is not the only or the better way to do it! it's just the way i do it, so you will need to experiment as much as you can to see what suits you best...
About that second one: these are the kind of things i like to draw and i had no idea if somebody would like it when carved on a coin, but it got sold pretty fast so i think i will do more like this from time to time:)

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Tim,

These look great! I'm really impressed with the many different "styles" you've carved, and the skull is my favorite. I must have a streak of macabre running down my back.....

Well done, and keep showing us your work!

Tom

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
Wow... I carved some coins yesterday and now realize how terrible I am at it! :(

Oh well, I'll keep trying. I don't know how you can get everything so smooth? My cuts always look too sharp and if I use my NSK Presto it looks to rough.

sigh!

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Tim;
I was just reading your profile, and noticed you say "sometime in the future maybe an engraver". I think it is safe to say that day has come and gone. No body could deny you the use of the word after seeing your work. Also thanks for sharing your techniques on finishing the hobos.
Cheers
Don

tim wolf

Elite Cafe Member
Dkanger: not mr Rodman no, this one was titled: "Vinnie the Bookie";-)

BkJ: i saw your first2 coins and that second one is already well done! keep carving, i can see you have talent!

Latest posts

Sponsors