Movie recommendation: "Tim's Vermeer"

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
a fascinating documentary of a man's obsession to unlock the mysteries of Vermeer's virtually photographic paintings. you'll never look at a Vermeer the same way again! now available on Netflix.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Saw the movie a few months ago in Washington D.C. It was a terrific movie documentary. It held my captivated attention throughout.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Mitch for bringing this to my attention.
Here is the Official trailer

[video=youtube;CS_HUWs9c8c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS_HUWs9c8c[/video]

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's interesting. I'll watch it asap. Looks like he's using a camera lucida in the trailer.

I have a book by David Hockney THE LOST SECRETS OF THE OLD MASTERS which provides possible evidence of lenses and other optical devices used for accuracy in painting.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Watched it yesterday. Very interesting indeed. Thanks for a great suggestion.

Sam, seems he's not using the camera lucida, but just a mirror at 45 degree angle on a reversed image, or from camera obscura. Even simpler :).

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David Hockney THE LOST SECRETS OF THE OLD MASTERS which provides possible evidence of lenses and other optical devices used for accuracy in painting.

Hockney & his book play big roles in the movie. Also a book by Steadman, "Vermeer's Camera".

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just finished watching Tim's Vermeer and I can say it's amazing! If you like to know how things are done, have an interest in art and/or photography... you will want to see it also. I think we now know how Vermeer could paint photo-realistically 350 years before photography was invented. He "cheated" and used a device he kept secret and has now been re-discovered. Rent the video. It will be well worth your time.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I went to Netflix and could not find this video. Is the title "Tim's Vermeer" or is there more to it?

You've got it right. It's only available as a DVD on NetFlix. Amazon has a rental to watch online.

I enjoyed it, but was not able to figure out his configuration. What I saw was the painting projected onto a wall, and a mirror angled to view what was projected on the wall. Then he painted what he saw at the edge of the mirror. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors