Practice Scroll

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a practice piece for those who would like some practice :)

It's a quick drawing but will give you a good idea of shading etc.

It's from a job I posted some time back with childrens portraits inside, it's probably still on the forum if you do a search, it might be under "Medallion"

Print it out at 50mm high, that's from the top of the scroll to the bottom....have fun :)

Phil

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for posting this beautiful pattern. If I can get it transfered onto a practice plate I will definitely be doing this to improve my cutting and shading skills. Thanks again.
Regards
Don

Georgey

Hi Phil

I am a beginner so for me looks challenging but certainly a great opportunity,may I enquire best cut with a 90 or 120 and what do you recommend to blacken that is available in the UK..

Wish you well
George

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Phil, as a beginner this will really give me something to sink my teeth into.

Brant

mrthe

Phil maybe can help, i hope do not do something wrong but i have edited a bit the image to make more easy my transfer:

Phil.png

i have the eps and the ai file extension too but i don't know if is possible upload it like attachment.

Thank you another time.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Phil

I am a beginner so for me looks challenging but certainly a great opportunity,may I enquire best cut with a 90 or 120 and what do you recommend to blacken that is available in the UK..

Wish you well
George

Sorry George, I know nothing about heel etc angles, as for the black, printers ink or artist oil colour diluted with cellulose thinners will do fine.

mrthe, that looks easy enough to transfer ;)

Phil

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Phil
You've given us the ULTIMATE study piece.

IF, you have any castings of this piece, please put me down for one.

Thanks a million.
Jeff

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I said, this was a quick sketch and was done around the time of the engraving so some of the lines will need editing to make them perfect, but when this is reduced to 50mm it won't look bad :)

The other think to remember is not to cut too deep/wide when overlapping leaf outlines.

Phil

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I have been studying the drawing it is going to a great piece for design and layout practice as well. Analyzing the layout is quit a challenge as well. Dividing a circle then layout each element will take some hours of drawing and erasing. Thanks Again, Fred

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Just got done hitting print! Now to do some cutting....gotta see how bad I can embarrass myself :)

Donny

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"I know nothing about heel etc angles,"
Phil, that's one of the best quotes I've heard from another engraver in ages. One of my old mentors, a 70yr old Nicuagran man, taught me to sharpen by hand. He would tell me "if it cuts how you want it to, then it's good" I use Lindsay templates now but I still fall back on a pile of hand sharpened gravers for occasional tasks.
Layne

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
That's how I was taught Layne.
Everything hand ground & sharpened.
If it cut well then that was it :)

It is nice to replicate exact angles but certainly not the end of the world if you don't.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Phil, I will try one but some years ago I came to the conclusion that it is harder to cut a design that isn't yours than what you did draw yourself. So whatever I will try, it will never look line a Phil Coggan :)

arnaud

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Phil for posting this beautiful practice plate

Latest posts

Sponsors