Gold Inlay Hold Down Fixture

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Better late than never?

Finally found what I needed. Posed the image with a shield on a floorplate...

Attachments

• Hold Down fixture & FEGA plaque 001.jpg
    Hold Down fixture & FEGA plaque 001.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Hold Down fixture & FEGA plaque 006.jpg
    Hold Down fixture & FEGA plaque 006.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Hold Down fixture & FEGA plaque 003.jpg
    Hold Down fixture & FEGA plaque 003.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Tom, the one you cobbled together will work just fine.

So will variations on the manufactured one Leonardo posted.

Ray already had this design figured out.

They weren't cheap and I guess they were such a PITA, he swore he'd never make 'em again.

Brian

As you can see, they just have the one large pin that holds 'em in place, so they can swivel. And yes, there is a setscrew in the vise jaw that can lock the pin.

Last edited:

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Brian,

Aha! The magic is all on the back side, not shown in the original photo. Thanks so much for the photos! Ray created a beautiful and elegant solution.

A cross set screw in the vise jaws! Again, a more elegant solution than mine.......I solved my attachment problem by drilling and tapping a hole into the top face of one of the removable jaw doodads (not disturbing any of the pin holes).

Thanks again!

Tom

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seems simple to make. By the way, I have that same vise and it's the best one I ever had. Love it; well, if one CAN love an inanimate object…

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
leonardo: those are destako clamps. very versatile, but at least for what i do they're way too large.these clamps lend themselves micely for making fixtures

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The ones Leonardo showed I have used for years on lots of different kinds of fixtures. A lot of them come with a rubber boot on the end. you can also use a pad of various materials. great little hold downs. When I go to Harbor Freight I always pick up a couple. Find lots of uses for them including holding the chicken house doors. Fred

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Monk: Yes, I hear about that brand but there are many of them. I call them toggle clamps or simply clamps. I used some quite small ones also and found these just to show you an example: http://www.ebay.es/itm/Red-Silver-T...orking_Supplies_ET&hash=item2c736e5965&_uhb=1

Very cheap by the way!

Fred: They are great for sure. I usually use them in holding fixtures for CNC machining but have a lot of applications. Would you be willing to start a new thread about them? Perhaps it would be interesting for many members but, unfortunately, my 500 words English vocabulary are not enough to describe these kind of things as well as a native English speaking can do.

All the best,
Leonardo

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom, the one you cobbled together will work just fine.

So will variations on the manufactured one Leonardo posted.

Ray already had this design figured out.

They weren't cheap and I guess they were such a PITA, he swore he'd never make 'em again.

Brian

As you can see, they just have the one large pin that holds 'em in place, so they can swivel. And yes, there is a setscrew in the vise jaw that can lock the pin.

Brian,

Can you share a picture of how the set screw goes through the jaws of the Vice to hold the pin in place

Saludos,

Carlos

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Why the need for such a beast?
Phil Coggan does a bit of inlay, never seen any reference to the use of such a tool.

Also seen quit a few videos of europeans doing inlay , never saw the use of these tools.

I also have the McKenzie series and he never mentioned it.

michael

Sponsors