Travelling by air with tools...

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all,

I`m looking for advice since I may need to re-locate my workshop some distance.

Should i box it all up & use a courier or pack it in suitcases. :thinking:

I was considering taking the microscope (head) as hand luggage onflight as a possible way for it to remain undamaged?

Then I have some stuff that could be suspiciously like bomb making equipment :rolleyes:

I really don`t know what`s best.

Any experience or advice would be a fantastic help.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Chris: I do a lot of traveling with tools, and everything goes in checked baggage and not carry-on bags that go with me on the plane. I would carry a microscope head if I needed to. That shouldn't be a problem. As for gravers and tools, they all go into my bags that get checked. In your country the laws might be different than in the USA.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
These days, with the extortional baggage rates - at least in the USA - you might want to check the difference between shipping and traveling with it?

If you ship, I would send it ahead, insured, to someone who can sign for it and let you know it arrived without loss or damage. Depends on your time frame.

I pack everything nowadays with printed sheets - containing contact info, inventory list with descriptions and images of the contents. "Security" is not always what the word used to mean...

Brian

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are considering moving a lot of equipment I would ship like Brian says with someone there to "catch" it on the other end. I fly with some tools quite a bit and it all goes in baggage. I just pray that the stuff shows up at the other end. It has so far, but I usually also get the TSA form that states that someone has looked at it or gone through it. I can't imagine that the scope head would be a problem to carry on, but you have to figure out whats going to happen at the destination. For me to carry anything like that inside the US is no problem, but may require special documentation, etc. if traveling to Switzerland or abroad.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Thankyou both for your input, I kind of like the courier idea with everything in one box straight to It's destination..providing it gets there ok :)
No doubt it'll be expensive either way as there is a fair amount ( everything goes).

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, look at the "bright side" (I always do), if you ship the stuff and the boxes never get there - you won't need the plane ticket - you can get a refund for your flight!

AND you can spend another coupla years collecting the stuff again :(

Brian

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if sent by the postal service, and a claim is filed for loss or damage-- you'll be in a nursing home by the time a refund comes your way.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am fairly sure that seeing the inventory list, full images and a contact info sheet immediately upon opening a case going into baggage - kinda encourages examiners to play straight...

I've had several problems with the post office. I use Fed Ex, UPS, or once in a while - a company provides a private courier for the stuff that gets shipped.

Hawaii was interesting. I took a custom made 50 pound LeTourneau there once. That one had to be opened...

Was in a plywood box with styrene foam. Had to wait while they found a screwdriver. (Of course you can't carry a Swiss Army knife these days - much less a screwdriver)

Brian

Last edited:

marz

i had to fly with all my wood carving tools.all had to go in hold.. but ill never do it again with out insurance..