Question: Best place to sell Churchill engraving?

numbersix6

Greetings all! I would appreciate some helpful advice from the engraving community. I have an engraved gun floor plate by Winston G. Churchill, Master Engraver. I've done searches, but there is a very limited number of his engravings for sale. The piece was done in 1971, while Mr. Churchill was employed by Griffin & Howe. I've contacted G&H and they can possibly find someone to purchase it from me. Naturally, I don't want to give it away, but I'm really not sure what kind of value it holds, both to gun, and to engraving collectors. Should I post it to ebay, or should I be looking for an auction site that caters to the specific community? Again, I'd appreciate any advice I can get. :thumbsup:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You'll probably find more collectors on Gunbroker.com. Ebay's not bad either as long as you let people know it's there. Please feel free to repost the photos of this floorplate.

~Sam

Flygas

I'm a serious collector of Griffin and Howe guns and know most all the players well. I could probably be of help to you. If you want to contract me privately, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.
Shane

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
at the very least, would you mind posting a photo of the piece? we'd love to see it.

numbersix6

@Sam - Thank you kindly for your help with the post. I figured that this would be the right place for me to ask. I'll take a look at Gunbroker. Ebay would be the easiest place to put it, though it seems they don't deal too much with guns, so I'm not sure how to get the right folks to view it.

@Flygas - I will certainly be contacting you, thank you for the helpful offer! As I mentioned, I contacted G&H and I spoke with the VP. I sent him off some photos and am waiting to hear back.

@mitch - Posting the pics for you, although it is difficult taking decent shots. The plate is more beautiful than I can do justice to. Thanks!

Attachments

• WP_20140623_004.jpg
    WP_20140623_004.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 308
  • WP_20140623_005.jpg
    WP_20140623_005.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 310
  • WP_20140623_001.jpg
    WP_20140623_001.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 311
  • WP_20140623_006.jpg
    WP_20140623_006.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 306

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks! and yes, it is very difficult to photograph engraving that has been blued.

Note: taking a good charcoal impression would probably be your best bet for showing off the engraving for sale.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's great to see Winston's early work. Without the initials I would not have recognized this as his. Too bad the deer didn't photograph better. If you try shooting from different angles you might be able to capture its detail.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know everything is worth what someone is willing to pay but what would you say this might be worth?

Saludos,

Carlos

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the old tricks in photographing blued guns is to put a light coating of plain old flour on it then carefully wipe the surface with a finger to leave the flour in the cuts. Fred

Last edited:

numbersix6

I have someone with a better camera coming this week to take more detailed shots, so I will pass along the flour trick, thanks Fred!
@Carlos - I have been trying to ascertain just that.
Spoke with Paul Chapman of Griffin & Howe. His take on the piece was that it was done as a filler job. During a lull in work, instead of being paid to stand around, they were given smaller jobs to work on. I suppose it was more of a practice piece, even though the work was still sold off to make money. I suppose you would have to ask Mr. Churchill if that's what happened back then, but it does explain some things about it. Regardless, he mentioned a similar piece sold a few years back and would probably be worth about $3000-$5000. At least that's a educated estimate.
Regardless, I will post better pics when I get them, for the forums' perusal. Again, I thank everyone here and now have a much better appreciation of the work and artistry involved:clapping:

Latest posts

Sponsors