Nikon SMZ 660 Microscope

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
My Name is Chris. I´m a Hobby Goldsmith form Germany an I want to learn engraving.
I took my first steps with Handengravers i dont know the right word in englisch sorry.
Now I want to get an Airgraver and all the equip. I got allready an Jun Air Compressor :)
Now I look for the right Microscope.
I can buy a Nikon SMZ 660 with 0,5 lens for cheap
but I cant test ist bevore buying.
Is it good for engraving ?

Chris

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,

welcome to the forum, I'm sure someone here will help you, a great bunch of guys and gals.

Saludos,

Carlos

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Chris;
Welcome to the forum. Check out the tips archive on the forum. There is a section on microscopes that are recommended and not recommended for engraving. I think you can trust that information.
Good luck
Don

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Don,
I found the list bevore i start this Threat The Microscope is not in the Buy list (¨ Buy - Nikon older models SMZ-1, SMZ-1B, SMZ-2, SMZ-2B, SMZ-2T, SMZ-10, SMZ-U)
Ok i was on the Nikon site and found more dates about the scope the zoom rate is only 5x :(
Ok than i take a look at the other models of the list
Thanks a lot
chris

mrthe

the zoom rate of the Nikon smz 660 is from 0,65 to 5x with a working distance of 115 mm with the barlow 0,5 you will have 18cm or more ,checking google, the power of the zoom is good much more than you need for engraving works in general if is in good shape and at reasonable price can be good for engraving

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
The Working Distance is 210 mm . When you think the zoom rate is big enough. I´ll give it a try.
I thought 10x to 20x is the optimal zoom for good work.

Chris

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member

mrthe

Chris were are you located? the scope that you postes in your last post seem to me not very good to engrave and maybe you can find with patience a better used one for a bit money more than this

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Hi mrthe,
I live at the Nort West of Germany near the Border to the Neatherlands.
I dont know why you think this scope is not good ? Sure it´s an older one. Series from 61 but it has a magnification fom 0.5 to 4 Working Distance 110 mm a barlow lens 0,5 to get more working distance and a 10x okular. I found this scope on the oympus site as one of the first models from the sz line. The SZ III
In the description seller said the lenses are in a good condition they only need a clean up
I was very happy to get this one because it´s in the to buy list from the link below. Only with an older pair of eye pieces g10x/22 in the list it´s GSWH10x/22
The Auction endet near the end of the Soccer WM Game Germany VS Usa
Ok it arrives maybe tomorrow or monday Then I can test if it´s working for me or not. If not it´s a good Ideea
thanks chris

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using an Olympus SZ40 since the late 80's/early 90's and it has been a very good scope. Of course there has probably been technological improvements since then, but it will work well for you and it was bargain, too. Also Lynton McKenzie used an Olympus, which is one reason why I got one.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
I forgot- Mine is on an Acrobat stand. I had to add a leather ring to the mounting bracket which was too large. Your later model may fit perfectly.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
The scope arrived today. I am very happy now :)
The lenses are very good with a good contrast and the working distance is about 18 cm or a bit more. Now i only need a stand. I like the grs acrobat stand but I think its too expensive. May I can build one like that by my own for about 50 Euro. If I do this i will post a tutorial at the forum
Thanks for help
Chris

Latest posts

Sponsors