Drawings of Engraving Patterns

leo

Elite Cafe Member
You have to be careful with this there not there for you to use because most of these are copywriter meaning there somebody's work and you can't use it without permission most of it I know you seen here because there by the master engravers in here just my two cent

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
What I found interesting (and encouraging) is that not so long ago the same style of engraving looked very similar to other engravings of the same style to me. Now, I'm able to identify some peoples work within the same genre/style -- so perhaps I have learned something!

Perhaps a "identify that engraver" contest is in the offing?

mrthe

I agree with Lee the 90% of this images are copyrigheted ( and come from a lot of friends of this Forum) , beware you can use them for study but not to put them on your works.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
similar posts have been listed before and this topic had been covered, he is aware of it, just read the old posts. It's just a search result that's all

Saludos,

Carlos

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As has been said, there are a lot of familiar images in that list. A great resource for study and inspiration, and a good source for practice images for folks wanting to cut something better than they can draw.

Bob A, I think we've had a 'who cut that' contest in the past. I've noticed that, as you might expect, the better someone is the easier and harder it can be to identify their work. The folks who are really good have their own style that can be instantly recognizable. Mitch's 3D work, for example. But they're also good enough to do someone else's style down to the small details, and every now and then we all have to try something new.

I'll bet a good contest could be made by taking a piece where someone did something that may or may not be their own style and having us try to guess - with justifications for our guess - which out of a list of engravers did it. Maybe it was something that Scott Pilkington did, maybe it was something Lee Griffiths did in Scott's style (just to pick examples).

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
After the uncivil war ,in the Southwest their were many "UNBRANDED" cattle.
Cowboys would take these cattle , slap their own brands on them and take them up the trail.
IF they happened to come across a lone beef that was branded, but unattended, some would stick their brand on it, covering up the old, and call it their own.
MANY a successful, BIG, rancher got his start this way, BUT!, after having achieved the respect of their peers, the BIG ranchers condemned this practice, resulting in a outlawing many a good cowboy.

As Fred stated, there are countless copies of Meek's animals out there.
Years ago, a lot of folks were copying McKenzie,Smith, Kornbrath, Hendricks and NIMSCHE to name a few.
Drawings and paintings by Charlie Russell and Michelangelo .

In order to paint like a master, first you need to be able to duplicate each stroke, be it brush or graver.

As you do this you will end up changing this stroke, pose, background, etc., until you achieve your own style.

As had been said, copy for your own studies, but develope your own style/patterns for monetary gain.

Just like the Old West, even the "Cafe" has some BIG ranchers.

Yeah, Weldon, you know me, I speak what's on my mind, politically correct or not! :beatup:

Latest posts

Sponsors