Help! Im a beginner!

brennon272

Hello, Im new here (been patrolling the forums for awhile) and would like to start engraving various things. I am wondering what all of you guys use for your setups and what kind of work you guys do. I plan on taking a few classes soon, but am very excited and would like to go ahead and get started. My grandfather used to do this for a living and i helped him some, but i never enquired about what certain things do or brands of vises etc. I was pretty much just handed a tool (he used hand tools, not an airgraver or any pneumatic device) and just kinda went with whatever he told me to try on some scrap metal that he had. More or less, i have had a limited amount of hands on experience, but was never taught any of the technical aspects of the trade but i am very eager to learn. Im mainly interested in firearms and jewelry (two polar opposites, i know haha). Any recommendations on where to start or what to get, or information about your personal setup will be greatly appreciated!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm a beginner

the tips section for sure. find if there's an engraver near you. if so, most are willing to share knowledge. if you're going to take classes, i'd hold off buying any pricey tools. many of the classes have a variety of the tools needed for this art. this gives one a better chance to purchase what's best for them. good luck on your journey.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep, great advice, if you've made the decision to take a class wait for the class that way you only buy once.

Saludos,

Carlos

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Before your first class buy a sketch pad, tracing paper, erasers and one or two of the various drawing DVDs/book combos. I guess I have them all but just a few. Sam's drawing scrolls is available for instant download on his site, Lee Griffith's is great. Draw, Draw. Draw. work at understanding what you are drawing and why. You didn't tell is where you are so we can't offer for you to come on by. Please do so and maybe someone helpful will be just around the corner or on your street. Fred
PS sign up for classes early as they often fill quickly.FM

brennon272

Im mainly interested in doing firearms (receivers for shotguns, frames, slides, etc.) and am looking for a vise for that type of work. I am also investing in a lindsay artisan engraver.

Latest posts

Sponsors