What is this product being used to blacken an engraving on a ring?

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Hi - Ran across this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9oaSR2yWyQ) and at 1:31 it shows a black stick being used to blacken a machine engraving on a ring. My assumption is since it's being used on a ring it's pretty durable, and it sure is dark. Any ideas or thoughts? If I'm breaking a rule by posting a link I apologize in advance. Bob

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
It's called a lacquer stick... or used to be, anyway. Hermes/Gravograph and some other machine engraving companies used to sell the stuff because of it's convenience.

Apparently they still do? Usually to operators who had/have little experience...

It is NOT durable. It is quick. That is about all I can say for it.

It is black in the video, but every color of the rainbow so to speak - was once available. We used black, blue and red mostly.

Brian

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Brian - Thanks for the wisdom - it did seem just too easy! Like in life, no shortcuts to quality work, yes? Thanks, Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
used the stuff years ago. it's simply a wax- based crayon. works ok for cheap, low priced work.. for hand engraving, this stuff is junk, with a capital "j"

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
These lacquer sticks were never intended for much other than filling in degree markings and numbers that may have had some wear in surveying instruments. I got some for a friend of mine who's in the business, in, I think, black and white and red. They skin over, to self seal, and might have to be a little warm to use properly. They are useless for engraving, and you're better off with a small paint brush and some Rustoleum flat black, or the various inks and oil colors which'll have to be retouched eventually if you're going to fill in anything at all.

Sponsors