Question: DIY Pitch

snappdragon

What do most of you use to hold your items in place (if you don't use pitch and an engraving ball/vice)? I only have a ball-head bench vice. Pitch seems very sloppy.....

mrthe

You cam use Termoloc from GRS is a thermo sensible plastic you have to just use your microwave and mold it like a platicine then at bient temperature became solid like a standard pitch, more clean to use

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thermoloc or common hot-melt glue that works in glue guns. the hot melt releases with isopropyl alcohol.
i used pitch years ago--it's too messy compared to "t-loc" or hot melt glue sticks.

maako

I was using bees wax but Gil a FEGA masters engraver turned me on to hot glue and it is so much better plus it is so easy to clean up.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Depending on what I am trying to hold down, and on what I am working on, I have in the past, and will still use one of the following. Red flake shellac, black pitch, red or green dop wax, Plasti-form, Thermoloc, carpet tape, screws, and hot glue. :thinking: Yea I think thats most of them.
Hot glue and black pitch being the most used these days.
It all works, I think it is finding what works best for you and what you are trying to hold down to work on.

Latest posts

Sponsors