Laurel leaf border and leafy scroll

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Demonstration plate from JCK Show 2014.

Getting reacquainted with a semi-sculpted version of a repeating laurel leaf. Everything cut with a 120° graver, and I've made a graver wider than 120° for the scoop-out in the center of the leaf. I will report back on that.

Center portion of the plate also cut with a 120°.

jck_2014_plate-sm.jpg

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I really like this border!!! I figure by the time I can do it....it will be new again:) A short demo vid to follow?:thumbsup:

Donny

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Sam: I've been using 130's and 140's for a while now, to create unusual backgrounds and double bevel cuts. They work very well for scoop outs for leaves.

Sam

Staff member
Sam: I've been using 130's and 140's for a while now, to create unusual backgrounds and double bevel cuts. They work very well for scoop outs for leaves.

Tim: Yeah, a shallower scoop is better and gives more reflectivity. :thumbsup:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
amazing, as always. i still cannot figure out how you can maintain such perfect depth/width control on fine lines with a 120. they just get me in trouble...

Sam

Staff member
amazing, as always. i still cannot figure out how you can maintain such perfect depth/width control on fine lines with a 120. they just get me in trouble...

At first the 120 gave me trouble as well, Mitch. But once I got in the zone with it I only use narrower V-gravers for hogging backgrounds or an occasional border on a curved surface.

Latest posts

Sponsors