Garage News: Drawing Class

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is the obligatory shameless self-promotion sometimes needed to make things work. The class will be June 23-27. At present it is small and offers a wonderful opportunity for individual help in your needed areas.

I want to cover principles of shading, accurate drawing (how to see and draw what you see), contours which is essential to more realistic shading and especially important to understanding sculpting, perspective, and if wanted drawing for bulino. Ornamentals -flowers, scrolls, inorganic elements (ladders, trellisses, ribbons, etc.,) are used by everyone and I want to spend enough time for the student to understand how to draw these elements in a number of ways based on principles. I list bulino as optional because many engravers are not interested or feel incapable. The class will determine part of the curriculum. I will also be able to work with individuals on specific areas if the class in general wants to go another direction.

You are welcome to bring your own design problems and outlines of jewelry, knives, gun parts etc that you normally work on.

There is no deadline for sign up. You may walk in on Monday morning if you wish just bring $650, pencils, drawing pad, and note taking materials. You may also want to bring a camera. I will make sure I comb my three hairs.

The attached photo is an example of some of the work we will do with flowers in a natural setting- stems, leaves, petals- and how to work them into engraving designs. When you start adding scroll and inorganic elements you have a splendidly interesting design with lots of shading and drawing practice.

At the end of the day the most important thing covered is how to apply these to engraving.

I will be demonstrating a fair amount and you may either watch or draw along line by line.

Attachments

• class 001.jpg
    class 001.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 248

Latest posts

Sponsors