Meiji microscope and Chinese knock-off comparison

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, your quick field test did show two things though. The light ting and more importantly the difference in magnification settings. If they were both set at the same setting the knock-off may not provide the magnification advertised. Fred

BLW

Hi all I have heard of LCD screen scopes making an entry into engraving and setting, Sam was there anything like that at the fair or anyone have any experience with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi all I have heard of LCD screen scopes making an entry into engraving and setting, Sam was there anything like that at the fair or anyone have any experience with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLW: Please turn off the Tapatalk signature if you don't mind.

Yes, I've played around a bit with the Mantis scope which is a binocular scope with a single 'screen' for viewing. It's very large and expensive and I don't know if there would be a benefit to a good binocular eyepiece type scope.

Jtan

I had a chance to see the Leica A60 at JCK last weekend and I was impressed. I wasn't able to do any engraving with it or spend much time, but I did check it out. It's very bright, clear, and the large depth of field is something I've never seen in a microscope. It was explained to me that one eyepiece contains an aperture which makes the view slightly darker and provides the deep depth of field, and the other is wide open for brightness. The two combined make for a bright view with unusually large DOF. It comes with its own LED ring light which has a built-in diffuser. I wish I could have spent more time with it.

Sam,
It was good seeing you there and thank you for your opinion on Leica a60 scope. You may not remember, but I tap you and ask you about your opinion on the Leica. I placed an order and can't wait to try it.

Ron

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam,
It was good seeing you there and thank you for your opinion on Leica a60 scope. You may not remember, but I tap you and ask you about your opinion on the Leica. I placed an order and can't wait to try it.

Ron

Keep us posted, Ron :)

mrthe

Paolo: You are absolutely correct that fixed lenses are always sharper and brighter than zoom systems. This is true in all optics, and prime (fixed) camera lenses are much sharper and faster than zoom lenses. I've not used the Opmi-1 but I have no doubt that it's probably sharper and brighter than anything. :thumbsup:

Sam if you usually use a zoom scope the change maybe is a bit strange but after some days working with it you you accustomed to it quickly , i have try the Stemi 2000 that you use and the quality is super too,what I really like is that the Opmi is made ​​entirely of metal, his objectives give you the working distance and will not reduce the power of zoom like the barrows lenses ( you can choose from 125 mm/200/250/300/350 or 400 mm working distance) ,and have at disposal a lot of accessories, ports for cameras, iris diaphragm to increase your depth of field,Ergonomic heads.....you can customize it like you want and his head size is the half of a standard microscope,but yes is not cheap.
I have read a lot of good things about the Leica-60 and i'm very interesting in try one too.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Most scopes can have interchangeable eye pieces. Most scopes will come with 10 power. If you put .5 objective on the bottom you have in fact cut the scopes magnification by half. If you change to 20 power eyepieces you regain the scopes original power range. This is way more powerful than most engraving would ever need or want. Fred

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Several years ago I was taking a class with Johny Weyerts. There were 4 students in the class. 3 of us had Omanos, the other student and Johny both had Meiji's. We compared scopes. One of the Omanos was comparable to the Meijis, mine was inferior to them, but usable, and the other Omano was a complete piece of junk. I'm going to bet that sums up Chinese scopes in that you might get a good one, a bad one, or anything in between. I've just spent a week using a Leica A60 that a friend lent me to try out. I'll be saving my money so I can get one. It's a great scope.

Stewart

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had an Omana from the Microscope Store several years ago because at the time I didn't think I could justify spending big $$$$ on a scope. After a year of fighting with it I decided to save for a better one. Thanks to Chris D. for pointing me in the direction of the Leica A60, I lika my Leica!!!!!!!!!! While not having to deal with knockoffs or lesser scopes anymore, I do empathize with those that think cheaper ones are just as good,they are not. Save your $$$$ and get a good one from the get-go!!!!

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a Leica a60 from Tira at the engrave in. After looking through other scopes that were there. I couldn't go home with out it. It's just so crystal clear.
Todd

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i got you all beat ! 2 or so years ago i sat at the controls of a davinci surgical manipulator. an unimaginable visual treat ! when i asked the gent what would i have to do to actually try one for engraving. he said a mere million bucks + shipping and installation ! needless to say, i wasn't too keen on the shipping fee. so i passed. i think shipping and install fees were around 5 grand at the time. i also would have to remove the rear wall of my shop to get the beast inside. then rebuild the wall.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
i got you all beat ! 2 or so years ago i sat at the controls of a davinci surgical manipulator. an unimaginable visual treat ! when i asked the gent what would i have to do to actually try one for engraving. he said a mere million bucks + shipping and installation ! needless to say, i wasn't too keen on the shipping fee. so i passed. i think shipping and install fees were around 5 grand at the time. i also would have to remove the rear wall of my shop to get the beast inside. then rebuild the wall.

Couldn't you just move to a warmer climate? Then you wouldn't need the wall!

Sponsors