Meiji microscope and Chinese knock-off comparison

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
At the JCK Show in Las Vegas, I found a Meiji EMZ 5 microscope sitting right next to a Chinese knock-off. It was a rare chance to do a side by side comparison under identical light. No ring lights were used...only ambient room light.

As you can see in the photo, the Chinese scope has a yellow tint. This is the result of cheap manufacture and not using optical glass.

Granted this is not a scientific comparison. It was 2 shots with my iPhone. But the photos are a clear indication of inferior optics.

microscope_compare.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I can certainly see the color difference but I don't see any difference in the clarity or magnification detail. The settings of magnification are obviously different and it appears the block is slightly tilted but the clarity is good just yellower. Fred

Sam

Staff member
The zoom was set the same on both scopes. The Chinese model has a slightly wider field of view. I guess if you don't mind a yellow view you're good to go.

mrthe

Personally i see a great difference about clarity, sharpness and depth of field too, look at the screw of the jaws , if the light is the same , the magnification is the same, seem like wear sunglasses with the chinese one.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Clarity has obviously suffered under the Chinese scope. Look at the GRS logo and you can instantly see the sharpness of the lettering under the Meiji Vs the Knockoff.
In hindsight, had I known how much time I would spend staring through a microscope during my first year in business, I would have at least started with a Meiji or similar used scope from ebay. Scopes like the Amscope will do the job but only just. In my opinion they are not suitable for extended periods of work. 6-7 hours staring through those optics and your eyes and head will suffer. Several weeks of it wears you out.
Layne

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
I agree. It's not worth buying a discount scope. With what is available today the best scope for the money is the Leica A60. There is no comparison between it and a Meiji. The A60 is much better and it's also less money since it includes the stand and light as well. It's 1800 dollars The Meiji with everything included is over 2200 dollars. The Leica is in the same class as a Zeiss. I have 2 Zeiss and have only been using the Leica since I bought it.

In my opinion the stand of the Leica is the best stand I have ever used. It has a great range of motion can be adjusted in out up or down with one finger. it doesn't shake and stays right where you put it. The Leica A60 is available on Tiras site engraver.com .

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I usually stay out of equipment talks but I feel I should speak up here, it may be pure coincidence but I have been using an amscope for 4 years now and im going to buy anything else. I am just about 40 but I would swear it has damaged my vision in the sence that it takes my eyes longer to focus up close now. I taks physicals at least once a year and my sight up close is worse. Maybe ageis to blame but I cant help but think its due to a poor focus on akward objects under the scope........my 2 cents.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Griff,

It couldn't be said for sure that the scope had anything to do with your vision. What I know for sure is that around the age of 40 is when your vision will become noticeably worse. For me when I turned 40 it seemed like someone turned a switch and my otherwise good vision had deteriorated. It was as you say my close vision that was getting bad. I finally had to wear an optivisor.

I am sure that if you talk to about anyone they will tell you a similar story. The bottom line is you can spen d the money for a good scope once or you can spend more later . I hear a lot of people say it's too much to spend for a hobby. Like anything of quality it will perform better and longer and the resale of a good scope is much easier and will get more than a cheap one.

Chris

Chris

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, thank you for the comparison. The saying is always true "You get what you pay for". If you feel your eyes are worth saving, get the better equipment.

Mike

WARWGN

Griff,
I am a 39 year old custom jeweler. About 10 years ago I did all my stone setting with a Meiji scope. I used it for about 4 years, then I changed employment to another company and I had to leave the scope. It was a BIG change. I felt that I couldn't see ANYTHING! I went back to a #5 optivisor and would also use the highest power reading glasses. I only wear glasses for distance and night driving, but only sometimes. I found that as a few weeks went by, my eyes readjusted. Now, the company I'm with bought scopes for the 2 benches and I love it again! He bought meiji's with the acrobat stand. I can now accurately reset the MICRO pave stones after they keep falling out!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Quality has no regrets
That's the slogan I coined for my air gun business but it certainly applies to optics.

I have been a Meiji user for many years, twenty five years plus, 3-4 years before GRS starting selling them, and I have bought and sold a number of used ones to fellow engravers. That said. I have been using the Leica about 6 months now absolutely love it.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Scott,
I have been using a Meiji Microscope from GRS for about 8 years. It has done a fine job for me and my old eyes, and has never let me down. Lately, however, the depth of field of the Meiji has become an issue in engraving firearms. Sooooo, I just purchased, yesterday, a Leica Microscope system from Tira, and I should receive it in a week or so. I am quite excited about learning to engrave with this new tool.

Could I ask what objective lens you selected for your Leica microscope.

Les

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
bought an Omano microschope setup for engraving from The Microscope Store. Has worked perfectly for ten years. No eye fatigue. or headaches. I can set the eye pieces to my prescription with ease. It was less than a hundred dollars more that the GRS Meiji at the time I bought and was their top of the line. Have been very happy with it. I think it is made in China but not sure. Have only looked through a few other scopes but the eye pieces were not set up for me so really haven't experimented with other scopes. Fred

mrthe

Personally I have tested several scopes, Am-Scope, Omano, Meiji, Motic, and i own a Nsk quadrocular a Lomo mbc-10 a Bausch & Lomb sz4 , a Leica Sz 6 Photo and A Opmi-1 , i remember the first time i look trough my zeiss Opmi -1 i feel like i was dead and i was in Heaven maybe after you work with a good one you will not feel the difference but for me was great, and i was working with the Leica that is a very nice clear and sharp scope, personally i think that the scopes with fixed lens and with titlt steps magnification are super

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a pair of Swarovski binoculars and the view through them is just stunning. When you're going to spend a lot of time looking through optics they have to be good. But there are levels above good and if you can afford it, it's worth it.

That said, I can't afford to go for the glory at this time, but I do love my Meji.

In the pictures you can clearly see the optical difference. The Meji may not have the depth of field of the high-end scopes, but it's much better than the knock-off.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Griff Silver,

I used to think the same thing you posted almost word for word. Having 20/10 vision all my life I finally at 43 or 44 had to accept the fact that "most" at that age start loosing the near vision. The fluid inside your eyeball gets thicker with age and slows down the ability to focus close up and eventually they won't. Then before you know it you're reading a book at arms length and by 45 I ran out of arm.

My vision is normal but I wear 1.5 readers to read anything now and the scope in the end had nothing to do with it. It was just coincidental that I started using a scope about the time all this change in physiology started taking place. Fear not, get a good scope if you need one and let the chips fly.

Sam

Staff member
I had a chance to see the Leica A60 at JCK last weekend and I was impressed. I wasn't able to do any engraving with it or spend much time, but I did check it out. It's very bright, clear, and the large depth of field is something I've never seen in a microscope. It was explained to me that one eyepiece contains an aperture which makes the view slightly darker and provides the deep depth of field, and the other is wide open for brightness. The two combined make for a bright view with unusually large DOF. It comes with its own LED ring light which has a built-in diffuser. I wish I could have spent more time with it.

Sam

Staff member
I should add that my example photos only show the difference between one Chinese copy and a Meiji scope. This doesn't mean that every Chinese microscope has a dingy yellow view. As for sharpness, it would take a bit more time and effort to do a proper sharpness test than a quick on-the-fly iPhone shot.

Sam

Staff member
... i remember the first time i look trough my zeiss Opmi -1 i feel like i was dead and i was in Heaven maybe after you work with a good one you will not feel the difference but for me was great, and i was working with the Leica that is a very nice clear and sharp scope, personally i think that the scopes with fixed lens and with titlt steps magnification are super

Paolo: You are absolutely correct that fixed lenses are always sharper and brighter than zoom systems. This is true in all optics, and prime (fixed) camera lenses are much sharper and faster than zoom lenses. I've not used the Opmi-1 but I have no doubt that it's probably sharper and brighter than anything. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Sponsors