koi pond bracelet

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
304 ss, heat colored comments welcomed. I know my cutting still needs a lot of work. Enjoy

Attachments

• DSC03876-1-1.jpg
    DSC03876-1-1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 265

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
What do you want to know? It has its limitations. In the right light it pops but in wrong light some colors kind of blend together. In a heat box where you can control the heat exactly. One can achieve even colors, reds , blues etc. I use a torch and colors tend to very.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Do you heat it with a torch and polish the colors off here and there? I don't know anything about coloring stainless steel so tell me everything....;) I've never seen stainless in this color range and it look so controlled to me.
What's a heat box, do you mean a killn?

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Yes a killn.( heat box) . if you look close at one of the lilly pads, you can see a purple color. I over heated this spot. Because I use a torch I have to be real careful heating. Always get your darker colors first because that is what takes higher temps. The golds , straw color take less heat. The " white " highlights are done last by polishing off the oxidation . someone with better engraving skills than I could take a lot of the shine off of the highlights by dot bulino. Texture is a big factor in how the colors show up, also air cool keeps a brighter color than water cool which kinda dulls the color.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos, other than case hardining , I don't think I would try this method. Maybe if I had a micro torch then maybe you could get some controlled coloring in select places. I wouldn't go past the gold color though. If you do you risk making the parts to brittle. That's if your using gun steel. Even then you have to be very careful to not take the temper out. Gun stainless has high carbon content and might act similar as far as temper goes. All in all. I wouldn't try it.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the info, I do know coloring of titanium by using more or less voltage but never heard of coloring ss this way, great info!

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Heat color is also good for mild steel , their are products that set the heat colors and clearcoats to help them from rubbing off over time. One important point. Always make sure whatever your heating is clean of oils. Unless its part of your technique.

Latest posts

Sponsors