GraverSmith first try...

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
Well I got my GraverSmith & 901 handpiece setup yesterday and tried some practice runs on a piece of steel plate. I used some gravers that came with it that were sharp.

Now let me say I won't post a picture because it looks like some CNC engraving machine was on an acid trip!

Terrible first try but interesting. I don't know how any of you got so good but I also understand why used engraving equipment goes up for sale!

Depressed in Nevada! :(

mrthe

You have to not be depressed! Post your first works bad or good , people here can help you with good advices to improve and with the time you will be surprised seeing your old post in how much you have improved!
Just try to make your best in every practice and with a great passion and good attitude i'm sure you will doing fantastic works in the future!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used some gravers that came with it that were sharp.

I don't know if I am reading this the right way but the gravers that come "sharp" are just that. They are sharp but not sharpened correctly. I do hope you properly sharpened them prior to using them this way your work does not look like some CNC engraving machine was on an acid trip!
Keep at it.......

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your first efforts goals: Straight lines-scribe lines on a practice plate about 1/8 inch apart lots of them. Cut next to the line. Try to control line width and depth. These lines should be parallel to each other. Show us a picture-Fred

Note: Make sure you followed Marty sharpening advice. FM

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The gravers you used were most definitely not sharp! Learn to properly sharpen first and you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to control your graver.
LZ

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Fred & everyone,

I cut some practice lines like you said but I didn't scribe them I just free handed it... I just read that you said to scribe. That will be my next lesson for tomorrow.

I had problems with the depth of the lines. I was using a 120 degree graver but I think that my heel was to long????

photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg

How come it feels like my hand was run over by a Tiger II tank? I am holding way to tight...!

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the hardest lessons to learn is to let the tool do the work. Hold it firmly but gently and don't shove it into the work, just guide it.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Isn't just so cool the way the metal wants the line? :banana:
The 120 is a lot harder to control than a 90. With the 120 the graver keeps wanting to dive in and fly out. The 90 is a lot 'calmer'.
As the others have said, if you haven't just sharpened a graver it's probably not sharp.

The reason to scribe the lines before you begin is so that you can get them straight and parallel - at least before you engrave them. ;)

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As mentioned a 90 is much easier to control line width and depth. Sam uses a 120 almost exclusively but he has lots of experience. A longer heel makes it easier to cut a straight line. In your plates you have cut several acceptable lines. Most you loose control but they are straight. On your next plates cut with a 90, next to a scribed line and snap your tool at the end of your cut leaving a blunt end then back cut your beginning of the line so that is the same depth beginning to end. remember next to the line. Fred

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone for the advice. So I will;

1. Scribe lines.
2. Cut next to the lines
3. Try to 'snap' the tool at the end of the line.
4. Back cut to make sure depth is the same
5. Use a 90 graver.

Oh, and try not to get a cramp in my hand... ie a "death" grip! :)

Latest posts

Sponsors