Critique Request Deep Relief Silver Bracelet

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Before I finish my first deep relief bracelet I would like to get some advice...

1) I temporarily blackened half of it with a sharpie and I think it looks better? Have any of you tried the Midas Black Max from Rio Grande? I wonder how that would be on silver compared to the standard Rustoleum paint procedure? Can it be cleaned off without damaging the shading?

2) I am considering adding a thin rope type border around the outer edge. Do you think that would take away from the overall design or add to it?

3) I know there is lots of room for improvement. I am very open to suggestions on my design and engraving.

Thank you,
David

IMG_2067.jpg IMG_2053.jpg IMG_2057.jpg IMG_2068.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David, First let me say that your design is very pleasing overall. Your overlaps onto the border are not overdone with this design. Some will probably say that you might consider less is more in these overlaps. Now for my opinions; you need to learn to roll your tool to the inside of the leaves, this will give you more three dimensional look. The lines as they are now are just lines can't really see that one piece is truly higher or on top of another. Silver, gold and copper are really high wear metals. Ultra fine shade will last on a necklace but the super fine shading on items like bracelets and rings, horn caps and some conchos will not stand up to wear. The same is true with high polish, however you do need more shading lines and in some different places. When a leaf folds over, even with the beveling some shading showing that there is a shadow would be in order. There are some excellent tutorials in the tips section here that will show you better than I can tell you.

As for blackening. You have cut excellent outside edges on most of this piece. Smooth without much in the way of elbows, a good job. Could benefit from some tool roll there also. My best suggestion for any silver is to blacken the background before you cut your shading lines. Second if it is going to be used either plan it with a dull finish or plan on polishing at regular intervals which will effect your shading eventually. My personal for a sterling or fine silver items is liver of sulfur and figure it will always look duller that Montana Silversmith plated pieces or plate it. I like to remove and texture my background, soaked as long as necessary then polish with 4/0 steel wool, shade, another soak in the liver of sulfur then lightly 4/0 again.

I think a rope border would be nice on this work as well.

These are just my opinions and should be taken as one mans ideas-others will disagree. Fred

P.S. you might go to your local book store and pickup a book on pen and ink drawing. One of the basic shading techniques is not applicable to engraving (scribble lines) but the other techniques and drawing practice I find quite useful. Claudia Nice books are real good.-FM

Last edited:

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your generous and thoughtful input Fred! I will try to apply each of your suggestions including the books you mentioned. I have so much to learn. I was indeed light on shading lines because previously I was putting too many in and it seemed like it was getting messy. I may go back and add more where I can and see if that helps. Need to find the right balance. Sad to say I spent probably 10 hours studying and drawing shading lines before I applied them to this bracelet. Oh well, each one will get better!

Thanks also to Arnaud and Hillbilly007 for your comments.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David, Take a look at McKenzie's work. Three or four lines when cut properly and cut correctly tapered and in the right place will do wonders. Fred

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, David - Struggling along with the shading thing myself, just posted what is probably the worst 'example' of shading in the history of engraving on the Sam's Practice #1. Good on you, I like the bracelet, and it takes guts to post among this august company. Bob

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Updated Bracelet Pics

I tried to enhance the shading somewhat and also cut a bit more bevel on some of the leaves per Fred's suggestion. My wife will just have to be happy with this one! Love getting the input and I really appreciate all of your comments. ~David IMG_2070.jpg IMG_2071.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors